1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

help me choose a watercooling kit 290X Xfire

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by purecain, Dec 26, 2013.

1. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    well ive finally finished tuning my new pc and providing my health holds out I would like to begin purchasing the parts for watercooling my 2 290X gpu's....

the parts I have so far are:

GPU Block x 2=Aqua Computer Kryographics Hawaii Radeon R9 290x

Radiator=Watercool Radiator MO-RA3 9x120 PRO - black stand=Watercool MO-RA3 Stand - black

Pump=Aqua Computer Aquastream XT USB 12V Pump - Ultra Version mounting kit=Aqua Computer Pump mounting kit

Reservoir=Aqua Computer Aqualis ECO 150ml with Nano Coating

Bridge=Aqua Computer Kryoconnect for Kryographics 1 and 2 slots - SLI bridge

Temperature senser=Bitspower G 1/4" Black Sparkle Temperature Sensor Stop Fitting

LCD water temp poster=Aqua Computer Aquaero 5 XT LCD Fan-Controller

Tubing&connectors=No idea

im stuck on which barbs/connectors I need...

its 10years since I water cooled my pc and usually I'd just research this myself...

but at £10 per connector and i'll need a few will become extremely costly mistakes...

I need the advice of the pro's here who can tell me which to avoid and which are the best ect....

thanks TPU...:toast:

2. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    All my fittings are 13/19mm EK compression fittings because they were the cheapest and biggest(slightly lower restriction) fittings not made by Alphacool. They were a pain to install and I ended up with alot cuts on my fingers but apart from that I think they're great.

purecain says thanks.
  3. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    subscribing.... :toast:

purecain says thanks.
  4. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    so which tubing and fittings should I get.... that will fit the gpu blocks and radiator.... with the G1/4" thread size ...

they are 10-20 pounds a fitting so I could do with getting this right first time...

thanks in advance...:toast:

5. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    am I in the right section... please move to the right part of the forum if needed... thanks in advance....

6. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I tend to go for 1/2" barbs with 7/16" ID tubing. I've never used compression fittings. I'd advise you plan your layout and buy fittings that suit angles, i.e. rotary barbs or angled ones. A nice clean cut on a barb fitting can look very pleasant and a tubing ID that is narrower than your barb fitting is exceptionally secure.

I'd not buy cheap rotary fittings - if you get them, buy a decent brand - not wam-bam no names. I've used koolance and Bitspower fittings mostly but also a few XSPC ones. Standard barb fittings are NOT expensive.

The fittings below are 1/2" Bitspower 90 degree rotary fittings using 7/16" ID tubing.

[​IMG]

7. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Is 7/16 really small enough to not leak on a 1/2 barb? I have 7/16 tubing and 1/2in barb but still use clamps. I have though about going to 3/8 tubing that I expand to fit around 1/2 barbs with hot water.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Are you wanting compression or just barb fittings? Standard tubing seems to be 1/2" ID by 3/4" OD. I definitely recommend Bitspower compression or barb fittings.

I would never do 1/2" ID fittings with 7/16" ID tubing, without clamps. But I don't like the look of the clamps so I usually opt for compression fittings. They look cleaner IMO, but some people don't like the bulky look they have.

9. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    It depends alot on the tubing. You need tubing that doesnt get too flimsy if your pumping tons of hot water through it. From my experience anyway.

james888 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    OP, that is a beautiful block for the 290(x) cards, sexy choice :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    It's absolutely solid. If you try pushing the tubing over the barb you'll realise how difficult it is and you'll see it's pretty infallible.
    I usually need to cut the tubing from the barb when i'm redoing my loop, it's very hard to pull off. It doesnt fall off.

I've only been water cooling for about 4 years but I've never had a tubing leak using the above.

12. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Straight barbs would be cheaper, but compression fittings look better.
    Just make sure thet the barbs/fittings are the same size as your tubing and you are good to go.
    Or go for 1/2" barbs and the 7/16 tubing like the54thvoid. I've tried the method out and it works great, but I like compression fittings better because it's easier to remove the fittings and hose.

Damn that watercooling gear you listed looks pretty sweet. I was thinking about getting the MORA3 non-pro, but I've already burned through my budget.

13. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    If you want a little more insurance you can add a small zip tie just behind the first barb on the fitting (see pic)

[​IMG]

I'm using 3/8"x5/8" tubing on that 1/2" barb and the fit is plenty tight, but I found that a $0.10 zip tie really put my mind at ease ;)

Crunching for Team TPU