1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help me choose processor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Saidrex, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Saidrex

Saidrex

Thanks Received:
    AMD vs INTEL. Which trademark processors would be better for games? And stupid question, if i choose AMD processor does this mean i need x64 windows for full performance. And which processor would you suggest for games, amd or intel for a price to 300$. :confused: Sorry for my english.

2. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Personally I'm an AMD fan... also for the price amd wins me over in the gaming world... intel does not have much if any performance gains over amd in games.. and no u do not need x64.

3. BlackMagic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Personally I'm an INTEL fan...and I own both AMD and Intel.
    I own (2) Intel e8400's and they play every fps game out there that I have tried so far..
    Including Call of Duty Black Ops and Dirt 2.

I was a bit worried when Black Ops first launched as the MP version lagged somewhat.
    Seems the game was not coded correctly for dual core cpus?
    After the second patch all is fine and the play of the online game is great.

Matter of fact I keep going to upgrade to i7 and I keep stopping myself. I can't justify the real need at this time.
    Every time I almost hit the ORDER button on the Egg, I don't do it, I stop myself at the last moment. Lol. Why throw money away for no good reason, I say to myself.
    I wind up buying other things like more hdtvs and electronics.

INTEL for me, hey...just saying.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  4. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Intel will beat AMD in gaming, but it depends what in depth level of gaming you require? Such as hardcore gamer will only want the best and will Pay extra to go Intel for those very little gains what are there to gain - IF your willing to spend the extra money.

Benchmarks speak for themselfs in games so here's a link to 2 very commonly used benchmark threads 3DMark 06 Compilation + 3DMark Vantage Compilationand here are 2 samples from one of the threads

as you can see the Intel wins by some margin but that guy probably paid alot more for his rig overall instead of what the AMD user paid for his overall rig.

Also a 64bit operating system is only useful when you use 4Gb or more of system RAM - nowdays for gaming 4Gb is becoming the norm...

hope that helps a little.

5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    so far intel perform kinda little bit better, but you have to pay more for that
    amd offers not much power but seems friendly to your wallet
    which one? thats up 2 u, intel reach better result (slightly better), i dont say the other is bad, but based on benchmark it said that

6. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    here we go again :rolleyes:

this will turn out bad i foresee

7. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    when it comes down to it, AMD is good for the here and now, Intel is good for the future(meaning the intel will perform better and give adequate performance for a longer period of time than a AMD proc will)

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget you need to have a matching motherboard.
    All in all, for a single GPU build, an AMD processor can be as good as an Intel (without stepping into the LGA 1366 socket). As for Multi-GPU builds, I would recommend an Intel processor with the highest clock possible and, preferably but not mandatory, a LGA 1366 socket board.
    Not if we keep things civilized and not biased. Plus, the mods can easily kick our asses if this turns into a flame war. :laugh:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  9. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I vote this thread get's closed before any flame wars appear :roll:

@Saidrex - I recommend you join this thread Intel Or AMD ? it is asking the same question as you and more has been discussed there :)

EDIT:

I like the way you think... advice sounds good here guy's :toast:

_JP_ and (FIH) The Don say thanks.
  10. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I foresee you getting many what would call "fanboyish" comments. Really depends on what you are searching for and a few things to take into account.

1. Overclockability -This is one of the major points around here. Intel gets the crown here. If you are looking at processors that you don't want to overclock and spend the extra for a better board to overclock with, I suggest looking at AMD.

2. Power supply consumption -Intel takes the cake here with there 32nm Clarkdale chips, everything else(in my opinion) they are the same.

3. Memory performance & Multitasking -Again dependent on which chip, if you get i7 on the x58 it will take the crown, refer back to point 1.

4. Gaming standpoint -See point 2. When overclocking Intel would be the leader here. If not, AMD clock for clock with gaming would as good choice and perform the same (see next 2 points as to why).

5. Motherboard cost -AMD takes the cake here. There are many sites if not overclocking you can purchase $30-$45 motherboard and would function just as good as the $100-$150 motherboards.

6. Processor cost -In reality, you get what you pay for. If you only need a dual core. AMD's Athlon II x2 performs very well for it's price tag.

7. Overall -Intel would take the crown overall with AMD only a touch behind in tech, but again see points 5 & 6.

Final comments:

In reality, it depends on what the use is going to be for. I see every processor currently on the market has its own specific function. Need to build an HTPC -get an i3 Clarkdale. Need to build an office machine -Look at AMD's Athlon II x4.

One point to take into consideration, AM3+ motherboards. Current AM3 chips will work on that socket.

Not necessarily. Those are synthetic benchmarks, if you wish to do a comparison you will need to pull a timed demo in a game and run nearly the same hardware.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    (FIH) The Don and brandonwh64 say thanks.
  11. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I would agree with everything That JR says Except for one point..... That Intel has a better Overclockability compared to AMD. This Used to be the case when comparing the old Phenoms to the Core 2 Quads and then "Just new" i7's. But since the Phenom II has released that IMO is not true anymore.

Sure Intel does have the 32nm Tech that will overclock rings around the Phhneom II 45nm tech. But with the exception of those CPU's you are looking at a pretty good competition in overclocking.

But if you compare Intel's i7 45nm vs AMD's Phenom II 45nm.... they overclock just as well as each other.

Also on the higher Chips like the AMD 6 core vs. the Intel i7 900's (With exception of 980x)....AMD Also takes the cake in terms of better temps.

I guess I just went more in depth to what JR just said that's all.

But what JR tell's you is good advice..... I would look over that and make your decision. :toast: Good luck

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  12. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I have never seen a Phenom II 45nm OC the same as a intel I7/I5. alot of x58 chips (D0 for the most part) will hit almost 4ghz on stock voltage or a .02mv increase.

AMD phenom II chips take from 1.35 (close to stock) to 1.45-1.55v to be 4ghz stable and beyond 4GHz most AMD chips wont reach.

The only Phenom II chips that have been good OCers are the 1055 and 1090 6 cores. most of the older 965 and 955 C3 struggle after 4Ghz if they make it there

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the re-post man! :)

One thing I want to mention with your thoughts: is point 1. When overclocking usually (9/10) Intel outperforms when at same core speeds.

I have seen it quite a bit in present day, current gen. More often now than that in the past with different architectures, i am talking C2D vs Phenom I here. Older stuff mainly.

brandonwh64 says thanks.
  14. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:

Yea this is what im saying as well, older tech they did clock the same more or less but compare 1366/1156 to AM3

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I totally I agree with the above... And with careful consideration when I thought it over and made a choice it was the Intel side my choice fell and that was from being pretty much AMD exclusive. I am really glad I choose the Intel i7 series! Very impressive chips!

brandonwh64 says thanks.
  16. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    Core i5 750 and a Gigabyte mb...ready to R&R.

17. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If we are talking solely on games, I would put my money on the i5 760 right now over AMD's offering, but if budget is tight, the AMD 965/955 Black can still handle all games with ease and its cpu+mobo is quite a bit cheaper.

18. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    From what I've seen so far the best systems for gaming would be Intel with their Quad-Core i5 processors and above, and the other thing I seen in reviews is that i5s such as the 750 and 760 have been out performing some of the X6 (Six-Core) AMD processors so at the moment it would be best to stick with Intel; although this itself might change when the Bulldozer AMD CPUs come out, but we will only know this for certain when they come out.

19. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    AMD so far could be taken into your list especially when you got tight on budget, AMD so far offers you flexibility of upgrading on the future, they still use AM3 socket than Intel that ( :respect: only God knows what socket Intel gonna use) but Intel has (slightly) better performance :D

20. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    They are upgrading to Am3+, so you will have to change your mobo in either camps.

21. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    yeah but bulldozer cpus are backwards compatible, intels .......:laugh:

and no im not a fanboy

rahulyo says thanks.
  22. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Asus M4A785-M mobo they sell it on newegg with a combo to AMD phrnom 550BE lasttime i seen it and with this mobo the 550BE unlcok 3 or 4 cores at 3.1 gigs its good for a decent budget. lot of features ...onboard radeon hd4200 512megs vid, gigabite lan, 8.1 sound hdmi plug. Be sure to order the C2 revision of the 550BE because the C3 is not unlockable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131595&Tpk=m4a785-m

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103847&Tpk=550%20phenom

That cpu is awesome on tight budget and got 5 full eggs in 97 reviews. the mobo is DDR2 memory so sine all people mostly upgrade now to DDR3 you could get a used memory set of hgh performance for cheap. this board that up to 1066mhz memory or even the rare 1200mhz+ ddr2. Mobo ready for 6 cores amd cpu for further upgrade.

Look at System specs under my avatar...at full power it sucks only 238 watts so dont worry ot buy a cheap computer case with 350 wattt psu included youll get more than enough then juste put a 50$ hdd sata2 and a 25$ cd-dvd combo burner and youre in business for far less then 300$

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  23. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    It will only unlock if your lucky, its pretty much a gamble. also the 555BE would be a better chip if you could get it to unlock since its a C3 BE

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    No, you will not be able to use your Bulldozer with AM3 boards.

Edit: you will however be able to use a "bulldozer board" with an old cpu.

25. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    C3 are not unlockable.