1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

help me choose which Monitor to get!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by quasar923, May 28, 2008.

1. quasar923 Guest

Im looking for 22" and would go for a 24" but are a tad bit to expensive. I would also like a wide screen with good response times and all for gaming. i currently have a samsung and im happy with it but its only a regular 20" and seems small compared to my friends 22W dell screen. I would like to keep my price below $330. I will be buying this monitor with in the next month or two when i sell my current computer and monitor. i have been looking at these three monitors and i do like the hdmi support from the gateway one. also which are the best panels to have for LCDs? and whats the difference between WSXGA and WSXGA+ ?

Gateway:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824113011

Samsung:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001254

LG:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005097
  2. quasar923 Guest

anyone?
  3. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I would say go with my monitor, if your wanting to go HDMI... I say this because I can get pure 1080p while streaming video. And love the fact that the screen dims when the screen is nothing but dark colors like Unreal Tournament 3 or videos... I'm happy I grabbed it.
  4. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. quasar923 Guest

hmmm now i dont know either to get that samsung or the HP i like the samsung because its cheeper and has a cleaner look. altho the HP has the hdmi for 1080p which would be sweet but it looks bulkyer and costs another 60 or so bucks.
  7. das müffin mann

das müffin mann New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. quasar923 Guest

9. quasar923 Guest

that dell also has an hdmi connection.
  10. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    They are all fantastic monitors. None of the ones youve linked us too are bad. LG has the fastest response times going for it (which is gray to gray, white to white, or black to black). This is good for gaming because there is less chance for ghosting. However, the other monitors, have at most, 5ms and there really isnt much noticeable difference between them. Gateway has been making uber great monitors lately. Samsungs are always fantastic. LG has a nice compliment and HP is just the bomb diggidy with theirs. I noticed you didnt have any Hanns - G up there. They are making some terrific sets which are HDMI capable. Not to mention decently priced. Ive noticed also that there isnt much difference between WSXGA and WSXGA+. The difference is WSXGA usually refers to (though not always) 1440x900 resolution and WSXGA+ is usually 1680 x 1050. Here is a wikipedia links showing more detail on it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSXGA . I hope this helps you out.
  11. smig New Member

Thanks Received:
    none of them is native 1080
    they all 1680*1050.

I oun two Samsung 225ms. this is a very good monitor, that can also be used for cable TV and DVD. only problem is finding the buttons.
  12. quasar923 Guest

does hdmi make much diffence over DVI? i have a dvi-D computer to HDMI cable is that full hdmi or do i have to have an HDMI connection on my GPU? im not sure if its worth to spend extra to get a monitor with HDMI.
  13. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I've seen a difference in HD movies that I play and in games.. but I get alot of HD quality movies and I have my Xbox.. So HD was like a must have for me when I upgraded.. A lot of people don't see a use for it with their PC as much as their tv... I wouldn't go HD if you don't sit at your computer and watch HD movies... Most monitors now a days have the HDCP. Meaning that it gives HD quality video streaming on DVI cables...

Also my video card does have HDMI... a lot of cards don't.
  14. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought hdmi and dvi were equivalent with the exception that the former also has sound. I have that monitor that spearman linked above, and can attest to its brilliance. Super gaming monitor.
  15. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    One word...... Sammy