1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

help me cure stuttering once and for all

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by chaotic_uk, Apr 28, 2009.

1. chaotic_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    please help me cure the stuttering i am getting in all games , at first i thought it to be my gfx card . but today i tested fc2 @1024x768 and @1680x1050 , my system stats are below

my farcry2 ultra results :

as you can see not much between the 2 results , but even at 1024x768 it still stutters . i have tried all the drivers for my chipset and gfx thats been released in the last 6 months , but the stuttering still remains no matter what i try . what would you recommend i do next ? , same results with my old mobo also (gigabyte ma-770-ds3) . even relaced my memory to kingston hyperX 8500 2x2gb instead of 4x1gb corsair dominator , cpu's i have also tried are the athlon x2 6000 windsor and the athlon x2 7750BE . only thing i have not changed is my hard drive , could this be the cause ?

2. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the stuttering you speak of? Those results don't seem that far off, the FPS varies depending on what's going on in the scene.

3. chaotic_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    as i move in game the picture on the monitor gives stutter (short pauses)

4. chuck216

chuck216

Thanks Received:
    Dumb question but are you running an anti virus program in the background while gaming? Some of them have the bad habit of scanning every file, audio etc. that a game accesses which is known to cause stutterring.

5. ucanmandaa New Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tried uninstalling your video drivers and installing them again?

6. chaotic_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    i turn off my av when gaming , yes i have tried that with the drivers

7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    And old... and I mean very old cause for early NVidia cards was flashing icons in the sytem tray on the desktop causing pauses (studders) in the GDI - even when in full screen games. Quite a few drivers later and it was fixed.

Like others say... check for background stuff that may be sucking up CPU time, like AV.

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The infamous Far Cry 2 stuttering problem. I honestly tried everything to get it fixed. Reinstalling Windows, moving the pagefile around, running with no other unnecessary programs, several different drivers, trying with no sound devices installed, running stock, overclocked and underclocked, different PSU's, a priest, a shaman and Santa Claus. It drove me nuts as you can see.:twitch: The one thing that fixed it was installing a different video card. I had to check your system specifications in between writing this and low and behold you are using the same card I had troubles with. :ohwell:

9. chaotic_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    so it's my gfx card even at 1024x768 ? , it's not just fc2 though (stalker cs and fallout3 as well)

10. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got the same problem with my graphics card (HD4870 1gb). Apparently its something to do with the BIOS and the memory values changing between 2D and 3D mode. You have to flash the BIOS with a modded one which I still haven't gotten around to :slap: Although running without any graphical drivers gets rid of the problem lol, ofc this isn't recommended :shadedshu

EDIT: Thread I started a while back about it > http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=88448

11. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Is there high hard drive activity when you play FC2?

12. chaotic_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    no not much at all tbh

edit : well there is a little

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  13. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont suppose you have one of the cards with the bad bios?

14. chaotic_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    not sure but i did ask sapphire if any new bios's were available , they said no

15. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like you need a 64 bit OS and a good graphics card with 1 gig memory!!

16. chaotic_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was going to change my mobo as it is not that good , but instead is it worth my getting a 1gb 4870 or get a gtx260 ? . wanted to stay amd/ati tbh

17. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Probably the hard drive. If I could afford it I would have a bunch of SSDs in RAID 0. Mechanical hard drives are slow because... they're mechanical.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    To me your mobo seems fine, i would get the one gig card if i was you. What res do you game on btw

19. chaotic_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    res i play at is 1680x1050

20. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I had the same issue on my Powercolor 4870 1GB. I used RBE to edit my BIOS to change all the memory values to the 3D values, and the stuttering went away.

21. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try wile E's suggestion if you can or get someone too help you. I see you ran your tests on ultra, try set them to low and see what happens.

22. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I still wanna say it's the hard drive. His specs only list one drive. That one drive is all over the place with the pagefile, the operating system and whatever game he's trying to run. I have 2 hard drives, one is for my OS and my games, the other for storage (movies, music, about 50GB worth of game installs/images/patches etc) and pagefile.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another suggestion, to make sure your bios does need to be flashed, is get rivatuner and use it to monitor your card while running a game. It will show you the mhz that your card is running at. After upgrading my bios, my idle settings fluctuate between the 2d and 3d speeds. Check that out and let us know :toast:

24. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Its pagefile thats causing the stuttering I've had this problem once before.

25. Biker

Biker New Member

Thanks Received:
    ....also make sure your motherboard drivers are up to date..... an old, incorrect or uninstalled PCI-E driver can cause stutter..... then defrag that hard drive.... ;)

Edit: oh and turn off most of that Vista crap running in the background; 95% of users nave no need of the majority of it.

Also make sure you manage your virtual memory properly: If left to its own devices Windows will create a dynamic page file. You want to lock that down to the same value all the time,
    in your case i'd say setting the Max AND Min values to 2048MB would be perfect :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009