1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help me find a good free MMO

Discussion in 'Games' started by n-ster, Aug 6, 2010.

1. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    First of all, my apologies for making another one of these... its just so hard to choose though.

I mostly played Maplestory and Diablo 2 until a year ago, then stopped MMOing... Now I want to start again with my cousinI loved Maplestory until they started to give out too many events and made you need to use IRL cash... Diablo 2 was fun but I got bored of it...

I like quests and playing with another player (teamplay, ie: with my cousin). I also like a good "economy". Graphics isn't that important, gameplay is though.

What do you suggest me?
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    almost all MMOs are money traps now the saying

Free to Play

Pay to Win

has never been more true, Theres also the fact that to get anywhere or do anything your pretty much forced to spend money as well.. You could look into private servers of Ragnarok or w.e as thats a fairly fun game and private servers tend to be less cash mongering eitherway theres a few sites out there with huge MMO lists i suggest you start there and start filtering what you enjoy most in an MMO and go from there. There is simply to many choices and in this case user opinion is only that opinion in MMOs u gotta try it before u decide usually
  3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    yea but TPUs croud usually have closer opinions to my likings lol

I don't want to be the best at the game though, as long as it doesn't really force you to pay, and you aren't 1000x worse than people who paid 25$, I'm fine with it

My strategy was to download and try whichever games you guys would suggest lol
  4. mordant80 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dungeons and Dragons Online actually isn't too shabby.
    n-ster says thanks.
  5. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    well it depends what your looking for i WAS playing Kingdom Heroes by aeria games as it has PVE and PVP channels u can switch to on the fly and 3 nations to pick from with nation wars ie 1v1v1 thats server wide on certain days of the week it was fun but to be good you have to pay that said usually with teamwork you can beat the Item mall users

that said.. gold can be traded for item mall cash
    multi clienting is allowed currently
    and it has an AFK lvling function with soldiers go check it out its by aeria games its more pvp oriented and the grind is easy but boss hunting is where its at and pvp as well
    n-ster says thanks.
  6. bretts31344

bretts31344

Thanks Received:
    Dungeons and Dragons Online is free to play. Lord of the Rings Online, which is developed by Turbine also, is currently in beta for a free version. Guild Wars is great, but it is only free once you pay for the game and expansions. The trilogy pack is only $20 at Gamestop.
  7. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I forgot to say it can't be too demanding on hardware, since I'd like to play with my cousin and he has a basic core duo, 1gb DDR2 RAM and some integrated intel

will DDO or Kingdom Heroes be playable on lowest settings?
  8. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    n-ster says thanks.
  9. jagd

Thanks Received:
    You can play Anarchy Online with restrictions http://www.anarchy-online.com . I did not play it take a look and if you like try it. I dont have any idea about economy but it has been loved for its gameplay .
    Another option is Guild wars 2 when released ,it will have "buy game and play online free" model =Youll buy box and will play online without any payment .
    n-ster says thanks.
  10. joytime360

joytime360 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dungeons and Dragons Online is free to play.Awesome!
  11. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Warhammer Online has an endless trial to level 10 with no restrictions other than that. The level 10 PvP bracket is supposed to be pretty kickin' from what I hear too.

Also, Allods Online was alright when I played the beta, looked good. Has a microtransaction thing going on though.
    n-ster says thanks.
  12. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep...1-10 are the most fun lvls to play anyway. tier 1 pvp is also better than later tiers. don't buy the game because beyond tier 1, the game sucks.
  13. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    thats true for most of them, gotta make money somehow though:ohwell:
  14. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    well if you like action Dynasty Warriors Online is finally coming to the USA soon seem Aeria games got the publishing rights for NA so maybe thats up your alley and with it being in CB means no cash shop to make ppl over powered lol
  15. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    DDO and Runes of Magic are decent, but honestly one of my favorite mmo's still is Guild Wars, buy the whole series once, play it for free and enjoy. Though I haven't played an MMO in a while and I'm sure GW's user-base is dropping off...last I heard it was still a fairly popular game.
  16. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys, I'm on vacation at Myrtle Beach so I haven't really had time to test many games yet...

I actually liked Maplestory alot until they started with a billion double xp and super advantageous cash items
  17. Nickzy

Nickzy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im gonna throw in my vote with the others to DDO, its pretty damn awesome, and it's even "free" to play now.
  18. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    World of Tanks xD
  19. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    World of Tanks :D
  20. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    I played a game called Requiem: Bloodymare. definitely not taxing, with my 7800GTX 256mb i ran it maxed, 4xAA(max AA for 7800GTX), 16x anistrophy @ 1680x1050 n never saw a dip in framerate. It's alot like WoW, mechanics wise, but is also quite different with character lvl'ing n whatnot which i liked. the Pvp is fun and you can join as group(ur cous)or by urselves. There were only 3 servers/worlds when i played, 2 normal with pvp arena's, then the PvP world. I played on the normal which wasn't too populated, but i heard the pvp is packed supposedly.

Minor learning curve, economy is player driven. item variation when i played wasn't huge but adequate and has probly increase since the yr-2yrs ago i played.
    ign images

EDIT: they actually just recently came out with an Expansion(free as well)...i may get back into it myself after reading up on teh changes. HELLs yea :). it's finally differentiated from WoW and usual MMORPG lvling style. You no long have to go find a trainer to learn, you just get you spread your points from lvl'ing along a skill tree or something. I've been wanting this in a game for a while besides runescape.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    n-ster says thanks.
  21. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    MMO's are evil. I've played Knight Online sometime ago and even though i know it was no 1A title, you play it for a month or two and when you look back, you haven't achieved anything. You are just grinding monsters most of the time, level up and sell stuff. And repeat the whole thing.
    Casual multi games are much better as far as i'm concerned.
    n-ster says thanks.
  22. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    as far as free MMOs go, runes of magic/anarchy online have been my favs. both can get expensive to play in the later levels but offer a fair amount of free gameplay. In the end though you are probably better off with a p2p mmo as they are typically maintained better and less expensive in the long run/higher levels. FFXIV is out next month it should be worth a go.
    n-ster says thanks.
  23. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    haha, well, when people start playing Maplestory, they thought it was just about grinding selling etc...but with a few friends and a little bit of wits, you can have fun xD ie: you could "Merchant" and make so much money, finding something dirt cheap that sells fast at a bit more for example, or one big profit that sells slow.

There were the party quests and the Bosses too, and its a very social game... just went to ruins after all the new shit. and its always fun playing with a friend :)

One thing about them is that they are addicting :(

SO I have alot on my plate now :) Thanks again guys! hopefully I can try a few today, since its raining and I already went to the beach when it was raining yesterday and don't feel like it today lol