1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help me find the right Android Phone!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Raijian, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Raijian

Raijian New Member

Thanks Received:
    For a while now, I've been using the same bulky, feature-less and ugly LG slide phone.

I have an iPod touch that I use quite a bit, but I don't want an iPhone. I've recently found Linux as a new hobby and I've heard only good things about the Android phones.

I want a phone that does games, media, note taking, facebook, texting, all that stuff. I'd also like a touch screen, and preferably a fast phone with a nice interface.

I don't know a lot about Androids other than I plan on buying one in the following month.

I've heard good things about the dual-core phones.

What are your experiences with Android phones and what do you guys recommend? It's going to be my home phone when I move out, to save money. I tend to get very attached to my electronics, so I'm looking for something really diverse and useful in all ways.

Also.. if this is the wrong forum then please move this. I couldn't find a mobile device forum.
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Droid X2
    Raijian says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Raijian

Raijian New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol thanks for that hasty and to-the-point response.

Do you have that phone? Are you happy with it? What do you use it for?
  4. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Any particular carrier? If AT&T I suggest the Motorola Atrix. Before you consider the Droid X2, you might want to look at this review: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...sepower-cant-save-this-phone-from-mediocrity/

I can speak to a lot of his points from using that phone extensively. I have no bias between any particular manufacturers or anything (I'm using a Motorola Atrix). If you don't need the phone right now I would say hold out and wait for the HTC Holiday which is coming to AT&T or wait until November when the Nexus 4G is launched.

Phones are sort of my speciality so if you have any questions feel free to ask :)
    Raijian says thanks.
  5. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Motorola Atrix is really good
    Raijian says thanks.
  6. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Another point for the Atrix is that they just unlocked the bootloader on the phone meaning you can now install custom ROMs and use custom kernels as well.
    Raijian says thanks.
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I concur... I have the Droid X and it simply rocks.

What I don't like is the simply the size (Large, but that's because the screen is) and odd shape with the bump out at the back top.

The Droid X2 has a dual core processor, better display and a bunch more internal improvements. Here's a review:
    http://www.bgr.com/2011/05/31/motorola-droid-x2-review/
    Raijian says thanks.
  8. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    The droid X2 as others have mentioned has a dual core CPU and a very beautiful screen.

If I were getting a new droid phone, that would be the one I would get. Also as other mentioned, what carrier are you going with?
    Raijian says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    The Atrix is a step above the Droid X2...

Here is a comparison of the two phones:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3708&idPhone2=3959

In reality it comes down to the carrier. The Droid X2 is a decent phone, but if you have the option for AT&T I would go that route.
    Raijian says thanks.
  10. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    +1 I have the Atrix and love it.
    Raijian says thanks.
  11. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Ah I think he's probably on Rogers, Bell, or Telus (the big 3 Canadian carriers). If that's the case go with the Atrix :)

You can use the AT&T Atrix on Rogers/Telus and Bell has their own Atrix.
    Raijian says thanks.
  12. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Atrix looks nice! i have a Motorola Droid A855 on the way so I just excited to have that one
    Raijian says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Yep I'm a fan of the whole Droid series :) I just wish the Droid X2 wasn't so...disappointing :ohwell: The Droid Bionic however...such a nice phone :)
    Raijian says thanks.
  14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Go with whatever carrier works best where you live. Where I live, I don't touch AT&T, their service is horrible here.
    Raijian says thanks.
  15. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I have verizon and I love it. the only issue I have is the nights and weekends are different from AT&T so it took a while to get adjusted
    Raijian says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    +1 ...same here

Also take a look at the Droid Charge by Samsung (with Verizon - it may go under a different name with other carriers)
    Raijian says thanks.
  17. Doherz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Get the Samsung galaxy s 2 if you can, fantastic phone. If your on the american continent you might not be able to get it though.
    If your into modding it there is a great community of rom makers for the galaxy phones.

The Atrix is a very worthy choice, the new LG dual core models like the optimus 2x are supposed to be very good too.
    Raijian says thanks.
  18. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Two words and some letters:

Samsung Galaxy S II. If there's an iPhone killer, this is it, and its merciless and cold blooded.
    Its coming to America soon, its already out anywhere else, and I can't say anything bad about this phone (I have it since late May) other than the fact that a protective case is absolutely compulsory.

Honestly you can't go wrong with this thing. Even my dad likes it, and he otherwise refuses to even touch a mobile phone.
    Raijian says thanks.
  19. Zen_

Zen_

Thanks Received:
    I have a Motorola X2 for personal phone and Optimus V for work. The V is a great no contract phone but the X2 is the first android phone I've used that actually has the horsepower for browsing with multiple tabs in Dolphin like you would with a regular browser and it can easily play HD video. But, the Samsung and HTC phones do have an advantage with screen quality.
    Raijian says thanks.
  20. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    There are two things I don't like about the Galaxy S II:

1: The CPU/GPU are "decent". By that I mean Tegra 2 is a better platform.
    2: Why the low res screen on such a large viewing area? 4.3" screen with 480x800 resolution...please we are past the days of that. We have qHD screens now which look WAY better. Also, SAMOLED screens are incredibly over-saturated (not just an opinion, but can be measured with the proper instruments).

Other than that, it's a great phone. I've had my hands on one and had a chance with it. I still prefer my Atrix. I still have a Galaxy S that my girlfriend has faithfully been using for almost a year now.

I am looking forward to the Nexus 4G which will most likely have a SAMOLED screen and I can deal with that. I remember arguing with people that AMOLED/SAMOLED technology is far superior until I sold my Nexus One which had an AMOLED and bought the Atrix. Once I got the Atrix I realized how over-saturated the AMOLED screens really are. I had my Nexus One for almost a year but I will never look back :rockout:
    Raijian says thanks.
  21. Raijian

Raijian New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the responses!

I won't quote and reply to them all but I've read every one and it seems that I do need to select a service provider.

I've never enjoyed Rogers. If at all possible I want to go with Aliant, or Telus.

I'm hearing mixed things about the X2..

I just looked into the Motorola Atrix 4G and WOW... it's nice.
  22. Raijian

Raijian New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bump.

I've heard things about third party apps not working on the Atrix.. is this a concern?

I've also heard of a possible way to get around this. Are third party apps useful?
  23. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    ;)

Its very easy, and to make it easier the new Gingerbread update that is coming allows it by default.
    Raijian says thanks.
  24. Flak

Thanks Received:
    So far for me the HTC EVO 3D has been the best android phone I've used. Went into the purchase thinking the 3D was going to be a gimmick based off some "professional" reviews I read. But so far it's worked great and I've been having fun with it. The phone in general works buttery smooth and even with my usage the battery is still managing to last a full day.
    Raijian says thanks.
  25. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I want a good one on verizon I wanted the X2..... the atrix isn't on verizon yet and ATT sucks in my area and I hate att.
    Raijian says thanks.