• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help Me Finish Overclocking My System

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling LEPA AquaChanger 240
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Storage Seagate St1000dx001
Case Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V
TL;DR at the bottom

Before anything, I'd like to say thanks to everyone here on the TPU forums! No matter where I go I always get help, and knowledgeable replies! I have learned so much over the month or so I've been here from reading and asking questions.
(Not that I'm brown-nosing, I won't be upset if no-one helps me here, I know I'm probably asking a lot)

No onto the purpose of this post...

So I've come to the realization that I am one of "those" people, I'm honestly overclocking for the fun of it. I guess the idea just fascinates me. That being said, I'm trying to overclock what I can without significantly reducing my components lifespans.

So far I'm pretty happy with my CPU core overclock to 4.8 Ghz.
Specs(Important stuff)
Processor: Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling: LEPA AquaChanger 240
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Stock Timings: 11-13-13-31
Current Timings: 10-12-12-30​
Video Card(s): EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked w/ ACX 2.0 cooling

My hottest core temperature is 79, using Prime version 26.6 or whatever
(the one that doesn't absolutely murder Haswell)

My personal max acceptable temperature is 85 on any one core. Reason being, I have one core that runs ~5 degrees higher than the rest, no amount of re-applying thermal paste changes it, I also have another core that always sits 6-8 degrees lower than the rest.

So my focus at the moment is overclocking my CPU cache. I'm at 4.4 with a vRING of 1.05. Right now I'm not sure where to go, searching around has made me slightly confused, I think I know what I need to do...but as I said before, I'm trying to be as cautious as possible with this.

What is a safe max vRING? I keep seeing 1.3, is that the generally accepted number? Or should I stay lower?
Will there be a purpose to getting my Cache speed higher than my CPU clock? (If I am able to do so and be stable at a safe voltage)

I was at a stock uncore of 4.0, and was foolishly jumping 200 Mhz at a time without increase my voltage...I actually went to 4.6, and almost had to switch to one of my 3 back-up BIOS.
7 restarts later and it finally went long enough without freezing for me to put it back to 4.4
Scared me enough to both post here, and save my current BIOS to a flash drive so I don't have to remember all my settings.

TL;DR

Current settings:
CPU Core Clock Ratio: 48 (4.8 Ghz)
CPU Vcore Voltage: 1.265

CPU Uncore Ratio: 44 (4.4 Ghz)
CPU Vring Voltage: 1.050

Q's
1. Safe max Vring Voltage?
2. Any reason to push Uncore frequency higher than Core?

Thanks ahead of time for any help/support!

System Name Lava Kitty
Processor intel i7 4930k http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
Motherboard Asus x79 deluxe
Cooling H20 Parallel EK D5. Radiator: 480 Monsta 80mm pushpull
Memory Gskill-trident-X 2666mhz 16gb 4x4gb
Video Card(s) MSI GTX Titan X
Storage Samsung 850 pro 512GB. 3GB seagate storage. 1GB storage drive. 4# 300-500 GB storage drives
Display(s) Asus PA279Q, and Asus VG278HR
Case Lian Li PC-343B-XT
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX. and. Creative Soundblaster ZxR
Power Supply corsair 1200i
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
Keyboard Razer black widdow 2013
Software windows 8.1 and soon windows 10
Benchmark Scores ask if u want to see http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
Read about overclocking and learn and then find where your cpu can't clock higher"needs too much volt" example I can't OC higher than 4.5ghz on this cpu I got because I'm at 1.408v atm and it needs almost 1.5v for 4.6ghz. find the volts that is just enaugh for good OC and stable and good temps.
also noone can help you really. Every system is unique in terms of OC and performance and volts needed for OC.

too high volts will degrade ur system and so does too high temps so try to find what's comfortable for you by how long u want it to live

Last edited: