1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help me pick!!!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by ebolamonkey3, Jul 28, 2010.

?

Which motherboard based on Performance, Price, and Features?

1. EVGA Classified E760, brand new, $270 after $30 rebate

14.3%
  2. ASUS Rampage III Extreme, used, $300

21.4%
  3. MSI Big Bang Xpower, brand new, $240 after $20 rebate

21.4%
  4. Gigabyte X58 UD7, lightly used, estimate $275?

42.9%
  5. Other, post in thread

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I need your help to pick a motherboard for my new Core i7 platform. Please consider these choices from a performance, price, and features perspective.

1. Evga X58 Classified E760 - I can get one for $270, new.
    2. Asus Rampage III Extreme - I can get one for $300, used.
    3. MSI Big Bang Xpower - $240, new, after $20 rebate.
    4. Gigabyte X58 UD7 - I can't find any deal on this at the moment, but say $275.

So guys, which one should I go with? I have 2x 5870s that I am going to crossfire now and may either add a third later or move to tri-SLI. I would also like to add a dedicated Physx card and maybe sound card sometimes in the future (single or dual slot).

So taking performance, price, and features all into account, which one should I pick? I appreciate the input in advance, thanks TPU!
  2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Turn it into a poll but I am 50/50 on the UD7 and the Rampage 3.
  3. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've owned more than a dozen i7 boards. I'd try to find a Gigabyte UD7. It's what I'm running in my primary system, and it's simply the best x58 board I've ever owned. Actually, any Gigabyte x58 board is a rock solid choice. I've owned them all, and each has performed brilliantly. They clock well, and have an amazing knack for recovering from bad overclocks without having to do a hard reset. Next, I'd chose the Classy. I don't love the EVGA bios, but it's a great board, and many swear by it. The Asus. This is one I haven't tried. I hear mixed reviews. I avoid MSI like the plague.
    Melvis says thanks.
  4. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the inputs so far, but can the UD7 fit 3 video cards and a physx card?

Also, added poll.
  5. copenhagen69

Thanks Received:
    I would go with Giga or the RIIIE ... I just bought an RIIIE and absolutely love it. Either board you can not go wrong with those 2 boards.
  6. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
  7. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    This is a very hard choice bud.... I have owned everyone of these manufacturers. And all of them have there good parts and bad parts.

MSI I have Noticed in my experience to run a little hotter then the others. I also consider them IMO more new comers to the High end market you all might disagree with me. I mean this not by how long they have been making high end motherboards but by how long I would consider them being quality. But they do have some great features like the big heat pipes/ Allot of overclocking options/ SLI/Crossfire/ and a very easy to understand and tweak BIOS.

Then you come to EVGA with their Bad ass Customer Service. But In my experience I have noticed some benchmark drops when using their boards compared to others listed here. Now it wasn't a tone on average about 1000 points. But it's still a drop. They too also have great overclocking features and the like. But because you will be using Crossfire and not SLI..... they might not be your best choice.

If I had to pick I would pick either the Asus or Gigabyte Boards. They are both long time players with decent Customer Service. They also have a tone of features on their boards. Both brands have served me very well in the past and stood up too all I could throw at them.

But if I had to narrow it down between the two I would pick the Gigabyte Board. I have built a system with this board for someone. I loved every minute of building that system for him. The board had a really easy to understand BIOS. It also was very very overclockable! The board also comes with a plethora of extras in the box. I am telling you I was in love with that board when I built that system. Plus I noticed it seemed that the temps were lower then other comparable boards I have built systems with.

I will admit I am kind of one sided because Gigabyte was my first motherboard maker that I started building with. But if you get it right the first time why change it right? So IMO go for Gigabyte bud FTW.... I don't think you would be disappointed!

But hey this is all my opinion and what do I know :)
  8. OneMoar

OneMoar New Member

Thanks Received:
    edit nm
  9. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, everyone likes the UD7 lol, but that PCI-E layout... ugh!