1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help me understand 780

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Champ, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    So with my 780 I got today, I've read about a thermal limit these cards have. I don't know if its this series of cards or what. So is there any benefit from overclocking these cards? I hear they'll bog themselves down when they get heated enough and you'll probably never see you OC by that way. I feel like i'n gonna end up buying a digital thermometer to find the perfect balance

Actually I read its designed to hit that and hover there. Still I'm no about the cores throttling

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    thermal limit on 780 ti i guess, install HWmonitor, shows you temp of gpu/cpu.
    Yes its gain advantage by overclocking.

3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Kepler is pretty different than any other cards Nvidia has released. With what they call GPUBoost, the gpu dynamically overclocks themselves, as long as the temperature is below the temperature target, and power limit. Both of which you can change. There is a point however where the card will stop "overclocking on its own" (Which is known as your cards maximum boost clock) even if its still under the temperature limit you set. At this point if you want more speed, move the sliders a bit. If the card gets ever the temperature target you set or power target percentage, itll throttle in 13mhz increments till temperature drops back below your target temp. There is a benefit in overclocking these cards, but do you really need it, is up to you.

Vario, Champ and sttubs say thanks.
  4. Gregster

Gregster

Thanks Received:
    70c regardless of what you set see's the cards starting to throttle. You can set the 'Temp Limit' to 95c but it will still see drops of 13Mhz when it starts to hit 70C. You can set a 1:1 fan profile to stop it hitting 70C (so 30c = 30% fan - 40c = 40% fan - 50c = 50% fan etc) but the drops are so minimal, it doesn't notice and when you overclock, it doesn't make much difference to the temps, as you are not putting hardly any more volts into it.

Of course there are custom BIOS's which allow for higher volts but I would only use those if you have excellent cooling or are under water.

5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Do you own a 780? On air my card never throttle if i went over 70c unless my temperature target was 70c.

FX-GMC says thanks.
  6. Gregster

Gregster

Thanks Received:
    No, I own 2 Titans and before I put them under water, they throttled at 70c and was rather annoying and the guys at OCN.net said their 780's were doing the same. Maybe an AIB thing?

Edit:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377676

Confirms what I was saying :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Reference 780 from Gigabyte hit 1200mhz core and 7Ghz memory way past 70 degrees, more like mid 80's (reference cooler).
    My non ref doesn't have the same issue either. Seems odd that the Asus one would throttle at 70 degrees.

As for OP, those cards get quite nice improvements with overclocks, the GPUBoost algorithm is nice. Just set a power/voltage limit and it will OC itself until it throttles, then hover around that mark.

8. Gregster

Gregster

Thanks Received:
    Have you monitored the cards when they hit 70c. It can be very negligible and 13Mhz isn't much of a drop but lots say it happens (after looking deeper into it). MSI AB OSD will show if it drops.

9. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't use MSI AB for NVidia cards, I use EVGA Precision, and during 3DMark Firestrike it stays at 1201mhz permanently.

10. Gregster

Gregster

Thanks Received:
    Fair play. I did some more digging and seems that a few 780's don't throttle till 80c (or 80c is where it is noticed). I wonder if this is nVidia's doing from the drivers.....

11. satsol

Thanks Received:
    If you're a gamer, overclocking can be beneficial to squeeze out some more fps and faster performance. Do you really need to overclock with a 780? Not really when you have GPUBoost, however, I personally recommend disabling GPUBoost and letting your card run at stock speeds and/or overclocking. GPUBoost is a neat feature, but it's not reliable, and it can throttle your card performance down midgame, sometimes at moments where it shouldn't throttle down. I turned mine off a while ago and noticed performance increases across the board.

Basically, if you're new to overclocking, you really don't have to overclock a 780 because it's a beast of a card already, and you'll have it automatically overclocking itself.

Champ says thanks.
  12. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Same goes for my reference GTX 780. On reference cooling @1230/1654 my card hit 75*C but it never throttled

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU