1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help me understand my Registry

Discussion in 'General Software' started by mlee49, Jul 31, 2008.

1. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so I'm more comfortable now with opening regedit and thumbing around. I understand its essentially a library for how the os will act and react to specific programs. I need some help with a detailed explanation about how to use it properly and when to use it.
    I want to know more about the 'advanced' features of Windows for my personal knowledge. Any help with explanation, purpose, advantages, help using, and or links to details would be great!
  2. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Oh and additional knowledge about 'advanced' features are certainly welcome.

ie environments, device manager, cool cmd prmt features/uses...
  3. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    Pheeew, man it would probably be better to buy a guide/introduction book. Like windows registry for dummies of something. There is ALOT that the registry does. Like everything. All actions and settings are run through the registry. Very hard to explain. Im just now getting good and searching through it and cleaning old files and settings out. Another thing you might want to look at too is GPEDIT.MSC thats group policy settings. Also controls ALOT.

Check these out

http://www.tech-pro.net/intro_reg.html

http://www.technicallyeasy.net/2007/07/understanding-windows-registry.html
    mlee49 says thanks.
  4. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Excellent links cybernook, I like to be self taught so please throw more on the pile
  5. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else have any other helpful knowledge? Just wanting to try to self learn as much about my computer and OS as possible.