1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help Mussels find a laptop!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Mussels, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    rightio, so my GF is buying my media PC off me, since i dont use it anymore.

All up i'll have about $600-$700 Au to spend.

The only fancy things it needs is HDMI output, 1366x768 res screen, and as powerful a video card as we can get. AMD and nvidia dont matter, so long as we can get some 'decent' gaming performance out of it.
    I do not need or want a large screen - 10" is fine, as it would make it more portable.

1366x768 res monitor matches my HDTV, so i can use HDMI and duplicate image for backup gaming machine/media box. easier than true multi monitor.

AMD fusion based laptops/netbooks might do this, but i'm having a hard time finding them in Au.

gimme a hand TPU'ers, help me find good laptops for sale in aus in my price range!

2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    So, are you selling the PC in your specs, or another one? The specs one looks quite high end to me.

I'd say if you can stretch to it, get a laptop with nvidia graphics, as they seem to be generally more powerful.

3. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    selling the one in my sig, just with a 15" LCD intead of the HDTV.

i just need helping finding a decent one, as even upto the $900 mark around here they're all intel i3's and i5's with integrated graphics.

4. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
  5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
  6. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
  7. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    Well I was going to recommend an alienware m11x (I have one, great power to size ratio), but I looked at the prices on the Australian site and they're quite a bit more expensive over there. Perhaps a refurbished one?

Mussels says thanks.
  8. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    I find it very weird that I can't find the Acer Aspire with GT 520M over there. It's just right within your budget range too.

EDIT: Oh because they're out of stock. LOL

9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if its out of stock anyway, just link. i wont get it for at least a month.

Please avoid linking to $700+ AU laptops, as once shippings counted i cant afford them.

10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    so with all the help from you guys, i've found two worth looking at.

catch is, ones got a better CPU, while the other (i think) has a better GPU.

http://www.mwave.com.au/sku-3106090...l&_174;_Core_i5_2410M_Processor_2_30GHz_4GB(2

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/XC7945/satellite-l750-09k-notebook#Specification

2.1GHz i3 with GeForce GT 525M
    or
    2.3GHz i5 with Radeon 6370M (1GB)

edit: seems the GT 525 is heading up close to double the performance, so i think thats the card to aim for even with the weaker CPU.

11. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Can you access Dell Outlet?

We have a Studio 14 and a Studio XPS 16 and saved at least 40% from retail on each through the US Outlet last year

Both are solid well built models and have AMD/ATI dedicated graphics

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
  13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I have a older Inspiron 1764 which i picked up some 2 year ago ( $700).. And it's been great how ever gotta watch out with that glossy screen their a pain in the ass and dell tend to do glossy border too which don't help either.. Maybe with mine being a 17" model makes a little worse but build of the laptop around there part is some thing i have always hated about it..

Sad to see the i5 prices after 2 years lol.

We did get all the required DVDs with it too which i believe some companys don't give you and dell do tend to post on their site how to take the laptop apart for repairs\servicing to which is pretty sweet.

14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    so i've settled on the acer aspire i linked to above, as i've got to spend almost double as much to get a faster video card.

anyone messed with OC'ing these low end nvidia laptop GPU's before? tips and tricks?

mostly want to get SCII running decently on medium, and a few FPS games at low settings. (i dont have it yet, just wanting advice)

15. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't want to spoil anything Mussels, but unless you really need a laptop for portability I'd suggest against it. Especially if you need it for gaming rather than internet browsing.

I bought a laptop for easy transport to our very small summer place. It was OK for gaming during the first year. Then after the warranty expired one of my graphic cards went berserk. So I continued with the other 8800 GTX..... A month later the other card quit as well, and I was very lucky to find a replacement for ~ €100... try searching on ebay for an 8800M GTX...

Since then I vouched never to use the laptop for gaming again ie no Fallout, no Skyrim.... only perhaps some World of Goo or Limbo, Simcities... or similar games.

Laptops are high maintenance, even if you spend a fortune for the thing.

Even if they got dedicated gpu's. If not, you gotta change the entire motherboard if anything goes wrong, and that's even worse.

It's much better to assemble a cheap desktop. That's what I'm going to do for next summer.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    its a replacement for my secondary machine/HTPC, and so i can get some lightweight gaming done while at the GF's house (mostly older LAN/coop games)

i quite recall your experiences with your 8800GTX M SLI problems, with a laptop that expensive it must have been hell.

17. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    hi mussels, I have bought 2 laptops from this company:

http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/

They have very good prices and quick delivery. Have a look on there, you might find a bargain. :)

Mussels says thanks.
  18. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I bought a toshiba P755D-S5384 and love it.

Its my work machine, but gaming, 10 key, nice display, bluray, decent battery life, quad core, backlit keyboard, actual useable speakers, just the right size keys and the odd finish on it makes it less likely to slip out of my hands....etc

My complaints are the viewing angle is a bit fucked, and the gloss on the keys. Other than that everything else is configurable, uninstallable, and tweakable.

Toshiba has meh software updates for the AMD graphics on the A series in it, but a quick uninstall and delete of drivers and a quick tweak and reinstall and you can then use the AMD drivers, I haven't tried to use any overclocking tools yet, but with the extreme cool running of this CPU I'm sure it would hit much higher at the same voltage.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  19. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I can definitely see where your coming from and what you want, but have you considered a tablet? I just got my hands on an Asus TF101 and it's pretty damn tits. HDMI out, gaming capable, shit-hot battery life and a hec of a lot of tablet goodness a laptop won't offer.

Naturally there are many things a tablet can't do that a lappy can, just throwing it out there.

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    just want to thank you all for your information and help so far. the stuff linked to from here has really helped me find better prices... and while i've got them ordering in that acer laptop for me, i aint obliged to pay for it once it arrives ;) so if we find better, i'm all for it.

21. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Yea look for a laptop with extended free warranty. Check the lappy in person first, because you can;y really get the feel for it from a picture...Oh and any modern mGPU will blow that 4200 igp away :)

22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    thats how i'm looking at it. as long as i can play starcraft II while i'm at the GF's or on holiday, my gaming needs are covered.

23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    one bit of help please: what ATI model is the equivalent to the GT 520? its bloody hard to find benchmarks for mobile GPU's

because of the $80 cashback on the one i'm looking at, it comes ahead of whats on that site. nothing else seems to have an i5 and the GT 520, they're all i3's

24. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't know if this helps but I broke down and bought a Dell 15" with i5 560m and GT420 this time last year. It runs great and I am able to play most games out there (including BF3 SP) without issue. Battery life sucks though and it is a bit heavy. None the less I am glad I bought it. The i5 is a nice cpu. I have not tried to oc the GPU as it already gets up to 80 degrees when gaming:(
    Just a note: it has been crunching (WCG) for almost a year with no issues. Stays pretty cool with a laptop cooler.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i think the 520 is slower than the 420, half the memory bus or something like that.

hows the mobile drivers? do we still need to do .inf modding?