1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help! My 4890 died:

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by ObSo-1337, Sep 7, 2012.

1. ObSo-1337

ObSo-1337 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last week my beloved XFX 4890 heat sink fan died. Usually this is easy enough to fix (replace the fan/heat sink) but the four screws fixing the gpu bracket to the PCB will not budge. Someone said to me that they might be lock tight screws and the only way to remove them is the use a soldering iron?. Unfortunately I don't have access to a soldering iron at the moment and I would love if anyone had any tips or tricks about how to unscrew stubborn screws. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible to have a pic of the screws you are trying to unscrew???

no manufacturer should put use tight lock screws (or gel on the screws) as this would only make it more difficult for them when it comes to being RMA'd

In the event that you cant get it off. pick up a cheap Radeon 7850 or even a 6850 if you are on a budget.... Im guessing that you dont require a lot of horse power otherwise you would have upgraded from that 4890 a while back.

3. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    a small drillbit to drill out the top of the screw would do the trick

4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    While that would get the cooler off it's gonna make it even MORE Hell trying to get the rest of the screw out ;) Still needs the screws "out" to put anything back on there.

5. ObSo-1337

ObSo-1337 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Crap sorry. I was sure I linked a photo. http://imgur.com/YnYsr

6. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Use a screwdriver that is designed for that size screw...It should come loose as I have never found one that did not...especially all four of them.

INSTG8R says thanks.
  7. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    If Loctite Blue was used, you should still be able to remove the screws using a screwdriver. If Loctite Red was used, you will not be able to remove the screws using a screwdriver. Using extreme heat (500F) will break the grip of Loctite Red, but you will cause damage to the PCB at that temperature.

8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    What I was about to post. Need the "right" Screwdriver for the job. "Jewellers" type. I have a whole set of Mini Screwdrivers including Torx. Great Investment!

[​IMG]

Never seen Loctite Red used in PC gear. Blue is pretty common of course. Red is more "Mechanical" applications.

9. ObSo-1337

ObSo-1337 New Member

Thanks Received:

I should invest in some. I've got really cheap screw drivers and they are wearing the thread down on the screws. I'm really scared to touch them again in case I fuck up the screw heads even more :(

10. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    well no - once you drill out the head the screw comes out away from the card... once he gets the card off he can then use pliers to get the remaining screws out of the heatsink base. At that point out can go to extreme lenghts without risk to the card.

11. ObSo-1337

ObSo-1337 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good point. I think I'll keep that as a last resort option though. I don't want to damage anything including the screws. Thank you

12. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    If they aren't budging with a screwdriver what makes you think trying to grip whats left of the tiny shaft is going to be any easier to get out? ;) Needle nose pliers and a "grip of steel" is gonna amount to alot cursing and chewed up shafts and not alot of progress.

13. ObSo-1337

ObSo-1337 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see what he means though. The screw is screwed into the heat-sink. If I drilled off the top of the screw then the card would just come away from the heat-sink and that's what I want. :)

14. ObSo-1337

ObSo-1337 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update: Got the screws off using the drill method. Now i need some screws! :D Thanks for the help

15. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    all the screws you need will come with an aftermarket cooler;)

To replace those, take a good one you have from the others removed from the back of the card and run to the hardware store. They should be able to match it up for you.