1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help Needed After Upgrade,...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Protagonist, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone to any one who can help please help, will be highly appreciated.

So i Bought Core i5 2500K and Intel Board DZ68BC, to replace Core i5 760 and Intel Board DH55HC.

All my other specs remain same and are on the side,

After puting in the new board and processor before putting any other thing eg GFX card, HDD and DVD RW, i decided to test it and see if its working, So then it worked, i switched it off before disconnecting the machine i decided to switch it on again, but it only goes on for like 5 sec and off on again till i switch it off from the PSU switch,

Decided to add the rest of the components and tried testing again, still on off problem after 5 sec, so i switch it off for like 3 sec, switching it on again it works.

So Ive used it for like 3 days and the problem is still there, some times it cant go on just by switching it on, i have to switch on and off for like 5 sec and try again and it goes on.

what is its problem? is it my PSU? i removed everything and re assembled again like twice to check if there is a short somewhere there eint any still does same.

tried assembling it outside the case still same problem,

Help please, let me know if i need a new PSU, even tho it worked very well with the previous Board and processor,

When ts on it works just fine, when i restart it still works just fine but when i shut down and try to switch on the problem arises

Help...

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the PSU is tripping for some reason, you checked for shorts\bad connections ?. I take it the CPU fan is working ok yes ?. You have a old video card you could try and see if it does it still as that might take enough load of the PSU.. Not checked in to your PSU is it multi 12v rails maybe the v card of overloading one or more.

3. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    Checked for shorts\bad connection was still same, i tried it without the GFX still same problem, even without HDD and ROM still has same problem, But when i switch it on and off at list twice it starts up....

4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    You checked the heatsink on the CPU ?, and have you tried resetting the bios ?.

You not have a extra raiser that shorting the board have you ? sorry had to ask lol.

5. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    +1

I'm also inclined to think it is a power on/off control setting somewhere in BIOS, had a similar issue with my uncle's PC when i first powered it up :eek: Was an Asus board but i think it is a standard feature/setting

GL

Posted from my phone :eek:

6. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Is your power on switch working well? It almost sounds like the power switch isn't disengaging properly after the button is pressed.

Try to start the system w/o the switch (i.e. just briefly make the contact on the appropriate motherboard pins) or use the onboard power switch, if it has one, with the case switch disconnected.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    Ive checked the heatsink even replaced it with another one i had (was new too with thermal paste) Yes i have tried resetting the bios hey removing the jumper and even tried updating it using flash it was the latest BIOS in it so i just overwrite it still is same.

I think there is nothing shorting the board coz i even assembled it outside the chassis and it still had the issue

8. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    it has an on board power switch and i tried it still same

Norton says thanks.
  9. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    any more diagnosis

10. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Did you run through the BIOS yet to make sure it is set up correctly? Prolly a setting in the power section or whatever it is called on your particular board

Posted from my phone :eek:

11. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    i'll check again, thought of it schemed thru the bios could not see what might be wrong

12. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    i had never used the 8 pin processor power connector since i bought the psu 3.5 years ago, the boards i had only used the 4pin could this be a problem to the psu now that i use 8pin on this board?

13. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Try only plugging in the 4pin.

14. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    No .. the 8 pins is not required. As long as the 4 pin cpu is hooked up it should work. Most like likely something is shorting or your Heat sink is not on right, memory is not appropriate for the board not seated correctly. Those Intel heat sinks are a pain sometimes. install it with the motherboard out and make sure the pins are all the way through

15. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    I tried the 4 Pin, but it appeared to to behave the same way but ill check again with the 4pin just to confirm.

8pin i thought the 2500k requires it? or the 8pin is just there coz the board has the connector, hp me out with the heat sink the one near the cpu, i dint see anything so tell me how to go about it

16. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    just tried it again with the 4pin it doesn't power up at all. goes on then off immediately

17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Checked for bent pins on the CPU socket ?.

And just checked newegg so i could see if you had a 4 pin molex on it and did not see one then thought i would have a look at the reviews and seens like there is some people with power issue's with that board ( unless newegg showed me the wrong one :p ).

18. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Can you test the PSU with your older setup with the Core i5 760 and Intel P55 motherboard? If the PSU works, then I guess, there's something wrong with the Intel DZ68BC motherboard, perhaps it's defective after all. If this is the case, then it's time for rma.

19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok before you go all crazy we need to test the PSU. If its a bad switch or something it should do the exact same thing with the paperclip test. Give it a try. If it turns on and stays on then it could be a couple of things. A short in another connection like the CPU power connector. I would do the paperclip test and then connect one connection at a time (switching it off in between. Do not connect anything while the PSU is on) to eliminate which connection it is. This will find ANY issue with the PSU tripping from a short.

Note: Do not do the paper clip test with ANY connection to the computer.

20. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    There are no bent pins on the CPU Socket

Tried it Yesterday worked well

How do i do this paperclip test, coz honestly i suspect the 8pin connector on the PSU is faulty, i have asked a friend to bring over his PSU so i can test, if its my PSU that's bad

apparently the board needs the 8pin not 4pin it cant start up without the 8pin config.

Some times when it wont start up i disconnect the 8pin and reconnect it back then it starts up

21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  22. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
  23. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
  24. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    If you're getting post ok on a different board and cpu combination, I would blame the board. All other components are the same? Odds of a bad cpu are highly unlikely, and if it was bad you wouldn't even get post.

25. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    I have just tested it with another PSU and it works just fine (I have tested it with a Huntkey 550watts psu and it boots no problem at all, so whats up with my PSU?

AsRock and JrRacinFan say thanks.