1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help needed: algae in my WC system?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kaynar, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    So my 3 week old WC system seems to have algae in the reservoir. Some foam with green stuff has developed on the top of the water level and when i tried to pick it up with a tower, the color was green. I have attached a picture:

[​IMG]

It is not easy to see the green as this is a phone camera with flash.

I am using Mayhems pure H20 with anticorrosive liquid and mayhems biocide. Three weeks ago I put 1 drop (for 1 litre of fluid currently in my loop) and last week i put another one seeing this foam. Now I tried the PH indicators that are provided with the biocide bottle. When I put it inside the foam, the colour is dark green (around 8+ PH but when I put it on the other side of the reservoir the PH is about 7). Today I put 4 drops and 10 minutes later there is only half of the foam. The foam seems to "prefer" the reservoir walls, as it is always stuck on the plexi and never tries to float away. Note: I DO USE THE COVER ON TOP OF THE RES!!! just removed it for the pic!

Can you please help me determine my problem?

Here is a pic of my system 3 weeks ago: [​IMG]

Tonight I am leaving home for three weeks. Should I leave the WC loop as is or empty it due to this algae issue?

Thank you for any answers. Sorry for the huge pics, not used to uploading pics on 3rd party sites. I have also posted this thread on overclockers.co.uk forums.

2. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Drain it and use distilled water plus biocide. I have been using this combo for years and works perfect.

3. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Well that is essentially what "Mayhems pure H20" is and their biocide too. I guess it is time to do my first flushing then :D

4. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Well essentially it is NOT cause you have a problem. There is too much of something in there causing it to foam. I would flush it with vinegar to get everything out and neutralize whatever you have in there

5. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    I had algae grow in my system, despite using pure distilled water and a silver "kill-coil".

After disassembling and thoroughly cleaning the entire system, I used PT Nuke-PHN (benzalkonium chloride solution) with new distilled water, and more than a year-and-a-half later, there has been no regrowth of algae.

Perhaps the Mayhems is simply not effective?

6. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I'll use something else this time, I'll empty my loop and when I am back in 3 weeks I will order this PT nuke-phn.

7. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    I use PT Nuke too no problems

8. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Did you forget to flush before filling? A regular mistake made by many, myself included :eek: The radiator can house a LOT of gunk/crap :(

Another vote for distilled! Been running a Distilled/Glycol/Bleach mix for years without issues :) Mix ratio 90% distilled, 5% or so Glycol and a few drops of Bleach

I'd drain the loop if it's going to sit.

9. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Flush with Vinegar too to neutralize anything inside

10. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I prefer CLR for RADs/metal components, vinegar for synthetics. Choice is yours :D

:toast:

11. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    yeah i did flush the rads before using them, though i used just distilled water, nothing to disinfect. What is CLR?

12. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    m1dg3t says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    DJs you have it near anywhere that sunlight can get in and penetrate the water in the loop?

14. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
  15. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    Algae and bleach.... doesn't work, sorry.

Bleach does not kill live algae. It's useless as it only bleaches the DEAD algee...lol.
    That's now doing much then as dead algae doesn't care if it gets bleached or not.

Now I do know of a great product that kills LIVE algae and it works great, it really does the job.
    It is KleenPool.

It has a 9.08 percentage of copper sulfate and that is the key to it working so effectively.
    However, it is expensive to buy but a half gallon would last one a lifetime as it needs to be mixed with H2O in proportion to the size of your tank.
    Remember to adjust your PH first.

http://kleenpool.net/

16. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It actually is distilled water, overly expensive distilled water.

In this case I would guess the Biocide is junk and didn't prevent the algae growth like it should have. The foaming is a result of the algae.

Bleach contains chlorine, and chlorine definitely kills live algae. People have been using it to kill and prevent algae growth in pools for years.

Raw says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  17. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Chlorine not bleach is what they use... Probably what you meant

18. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    To hell with pure H2O and all of that run 10-25% car coolant (ethylene glycol) and see if you ever get algae growth again. Oddly enough AIO's run a mix with ethylene or propylene glycol as do all water cooling fluids.

ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
  19. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Listen to this man. This is what i run in mime. I just pulled the cpu block the other day to check things and it is as clean inside as a new penny. And my block is mega old. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    are you sure its not contamination?

21. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Most household bleach is just lower concentrated liquid chlorine.

Norton says thanks.
  22. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Correct! Bleach is a 5-8% solution of Sodium Hypochlorite (essentially Chlorine mixed with Sodium Hydroxide) for most household brands. Pure Chlorine is a corrosive and poisonous gas.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    Well, not all bleaches contain chlorine. Many are hydrogen peroxide based nowadays rather than sodium hypochlorite or chlorine based. Look around the store shelves the next time you go to a supermarket. You will be surprised.
    You are definately correct that chlorine will kill live algae though. So I apologize for the misunderstanding.

For a note: Here in my area of the US sodium hypochlorite or chlorine based bleach is getting harder and harder to find and more expensive every month. I don't know if it's true or not but I have heard the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency...grrrr) is starting a nationwide campaign to eliminate the home use of bleach using chlorine.

In any event, that KleenPool stuff I mentioned works great.

24. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Oddly enough, in my area the cheap "store brand" bleach is usually the one that definitely contains chlorine. But if you aren't sure, just go to a pool store and buy a gallon of liquid chlorine pool shock. Its usually under $10 a bottle.

Granted, using chlorine in your loop is kind of pointless since chlorine breaks down and dissipates rather quickly when exposed to light. So adding a few drops to the loop won't really do anything in the long term.

So you're right, a better solution would be an actual algicide that will stay in the coolant for a long period of time. Kleenpool is one, but basically any algicide from the pool store will work and is cheap. Or as others have said, car anti-freeze will work too, as it kills everything.

25. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    He should just get PTNuke and call it a day