• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help needed on buying a new PSU

JonnyRock

I need to buy a new psu and don’t know what to get.

Current rig:

Asus SLI Premium
AMD fx53
Asus x850xt platinum VGA card
1 gig Kingston hyper x memory (2x512)
4x western digital raptors (76gig)
2x Seagate 160gig
2x DVD writers
6x 8mm fans
Some cheap generic 500watt psu that is giving me problems.

I am going to get 2x NVIDIA 7800gtx's 512meg in the next 4 months, hence the need for the new psu.

Currently I am looking to buy the Aopen AO700-ALN psu.

http://global.aopen.com.tw/products/power/AO700-12ALN.htm

Is this PSU any good???

Are there any other recommendations.

I live in South Africa and access to hardware can be 1) expensive and 2) hard to find.
I have been quoted R1100 for this PSU (Aopen AO700-ALN) which is a lot of money so I don’t wana buy crap.

Thx

Hey Johnny,

I can't say I have heard of that brand. I agree with you that a good PSU is needed on every computer. A bad one can kill a computer. The well known brands I suggest you look into are PC Power and Cooling, Antec, OCZ, and FSP. If you are looking for the best power supply then it would be PC Power and Cooling, but they are very expensive. I suggest looking into the others preferably Antec. Also, wouldn't it be easier just to look on newegg.com I am sure they could get it to you.

System Name Sample light
Processor AMD Phenom II 965
Motherboard MSI DKA790GX
Cooling Zalman 9500LED
Memory 2x 2GB G-skill PC8500
Video Card(s) Asus built AMD/ATI HD4850
Storage 500GB Wesern Digital green
Display(s) too ashamed to tell, but its an acer
Case Lian Li V2000
Audio Device(s) Echo Audiofire 2
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Windows XP pro SP3
Aopen are usualy rebadged PSU´s

BTW, Aopen is a classic Nvidia video card integrator, like leadtek, (except the leadteks are front of the pack in performance, Aopen is more middle of the pack), they also made good motherboards in their times,

their power supplys are usualy good, but middle of the pack, not front and out,

if your looking for a bargin, look for HEC, cheap and decent,
if your looking for a solid PSU, OCZ, Fortron source (FSP), Bequiet, Tegan,

some people dont get the idea that good equipment requiers solid voltages and good amparage to function correctly, the PSU in my opinion is one of the most important if not the most important component in the system, and investing a bit more to get peace and quiet (not to mention good performance and overclocking) when it comes to the psu is a must,