1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help Needed on data transfer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BlackKnight, Sep 24, 2009.

1. BlackKnight New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I apologize if this is in the wrong forumn but it doesn't really fit neatly into the others (in my opinion).

So I have a 750 GB Seagate external HD (practically full) that I use with my Macbook. However I have recently built myself a windows desktop. I want to get the data off of the external and onto a drive in my new desktop. Naturally, apple and windows formats do not work together. So far I have been using my 16 GB thumb drive to transfer it all over, it is exceedingly slow and tedious. I was wondering what my other options are...

My computer is Win XP x64 SP2. I do have a home network but do not know how to share files, etc... (I'm trying to find a way to do it that way but I just can't seem to get it right)

I would appreciate any ideas... thanks

2. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    You're trying to share files between your XP machine and the macbook? It probably won't work.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that PartitionMagic supports Mac file system (but I may be wrong), try this, clique on "Free Trial" on the top-left of the screen. I'm not sure if this trial as limitations (like not copying files bigger than # MB).
    Next time format any external storage unit as FAT-32 (this will be supported on all major operative systems).