1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help needed troubleshooting

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Starcrusher, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Starcrusher New Member

Thanks Received:
    My wife's computer has developed a problem when it is powered off completely. It will power up for a few seconds then it shuts down for a few, powers up for a few, shuts down for a few. It repeats the cycle until you force it to power down by holding in the power button. The computer is about 1 year old and it has only done this twice in the last 3 or 4 months, but only when it has been powered down completely and restarted. Anyone had this happen or know where to start? I'm thinking power supply or motherboard, but maybe I'm off base.

2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Without seeing it, I'd have to say power supply. Sounds pretty typical of a psu dying.

3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:

I'd agree. Replace the PSU before it goes out completely, and possibly takes the whole system with it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Only time I get a similar thing is when i switch my PC off completely, i.e turning off the mains. then when it starts up, it goes off again, then comes backup. I think its just a safety check thing to check the OC. But in this case of it getting stuck in a loop, I would have to agree with the others and say PSU, if everything is at stock.
    do you have another to try?

5. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Some p35 boards act that way sometimes.

6. Starcrusher New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is a P35 board. Gigabyte P35C-D3SR. Any trick to get it to stop doing that?

7. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    It`s really abit and msi boards and no I don`t think there`s a cure. But if that`s what it is then there`s not really anything broken either.

8. Fastmix

Fastmix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried looking for a bios update?

I know is risky but updates fix a lot of problems.

9. Starcrusher New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well it isnt the PSU.....got a new one and same thing. In searching the web there are tons of people with this complaint and no real fix other than RMA the board to Gigabyte it looks like. If I dont power the CPU the computer will stay on without any problem, but then of course I cant really do anything with it. Now my computer (same build) is having similar issues.

10. mitchy24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive got the exact same board mate, and the exact same probs... Its got a cold boot problem for defo,, Mine used to be really bad , like every time i switched it on, it sometimes wouldnt even come on until i cleared the cmos etc.. Anyway it hasnt been to bad lately since ive reseated my m/b and updated the bios to f11..It is defo a safety check thing , BUT dont try and hold the power button in when its loading as it can damage the bios.. I know cos i done it lol.. Just let it do its thing until its boots into windows... Make sure your clocks are stable, ram and cpu if O/Ced.. It sounds like something isnt stable in there mate..

11. Starcrusher New Member

Thanks Received:
    It isnt even trying to read the BIOS it seems like. No POST, nothing. Mine just sits there powered up but nothing else. Hers is still rebooting over and over and over. We've had them running for about a year with minor problems of this sort, but now they arent able to even POST or get to the BIOS.

12. mitchy24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi mate sorry for not getting back to you..It sounds like youve got the boot looping prob..I think its game over with the motherboard.. That happened to the first one i got , had to send it back to gigabyte , took about 2 weeks to get back , they just sent me another.. To be totally honest mate , this is the worst m/b ive ever had, it proper gets on my tits i wish i stuck with DFI,, by far the best! If your getting another ill buy the Back I/O plate, they didnt send me one ... Sorry Mate i hope you get it sorted

13. Starcrusher New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I got hers up and running with my mobo. However, as soon as I tried to put my Crucial Ballistix DIMMs in it died again. Tried removing the battery and resetting the CMOS overnight, but still no love. The only thing that seemed to work so far was completely disassembling the computer and rebuilding it all. My Kingston memory works fine, but the Crucial suddenly is causing all kinds of problems even though we have been running them for a year without issues. Back to the repair table for the third day. :mad:

14. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the Crucial RAM is dead then. :(
    Have you got another board to try em in?