1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help needed: USB Wi-Fi adaptor issues with vista

Discussion in 'General Software' started by rheged, Oct 21, 2007.

1. rheged

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

just got a brand new shiny laptop (Compaq F560EM) with on board wi-fi and vista home premium 32bit. Onboard Wi-fi module not good enough (low signal strength from WLAN on account of internal antenna) to get decent connectivity to halls of residence WLAN. So purchased a Compoint EVWL-GI-700S usb wi-fi adaptor.

Driver (XP version) installed fine (apparently), the issue I'm having is that the configuration client that came with the device doesn't like Vista, to the extent that the client doesnt recognise that the device is plugged in, even though vista recognises that the device is there, and has it listed under device manager as a Marvell Libertas 802.11b/g wireless lan client adaptor (maybe its the chipset used?), and says its working fine. Also, an unidentified (by the manual) green light is lit up on the usb stick. Stays lit constantly.

The configuration client, loads up ok when vista starts, comes up with a selection of tabs, of which network status is available, amongst other admin type tabs, and site survey is blanked out and not available. According to the manual, the site survey tab is neccessary to locate and connect to a network with the usb adaptor.

With Vista's own network connection facility, the usb adaptor can't find any networks, though the onboard wi-fi system can, so I'm going on the presumption that the usb adaptor needs the client that came with it to do anything.

I've thought that the 3 most likely options are that either a) The configuration client doesnt get on with Vista for whatever reason, b) actually the device driver is NOT doing the job its meant to even though Vista thinks it is, or c) the device is broken.

Anyone got any ideas for a solution to this issue which doesn't involve waiting for microsoft to send out the first service pack for Vista?

2. bassmasta Guest

try a vista driver. if there isn't one, look for your reciept

3. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked the manufacturer of the adapter's website for Vista Drivers?

4. JacKz5o New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried disabling the onboard Wi-Fi system and then using your USB device?

5. rheged

Thanks Received:
    Onboard Wi-fi disabled by flicking switch on front of laptop, so yes disabled onboard wifi before installing/trying to use the usb adaptor.

So far, am unable to find the manufacturer on the web, although I did receive a software update for the client via the vista updater (did improve the client in that it now launches rather than coming up with a 'not supported' error code, but still cant configure adaptor), so can only presume that they're still in existance. Otherwise, unable to find the manufacturer, and hence vista specific drivers.

Any way of forcing the client to work with vista? Wishful thinking maybe... :(

Thanks for the help! :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  6. rheged

Thanks Received:
    Okay, found the problem. It works fine with vista, the issue is, that the adaptor is just plain AWFUL!! In the room of my college where my onboard wifi gets full strength signal, the compoint adaptor gets less than 10-20% signal. :mad:

So ladies and gentlemen, the moral of the story is "Stay away from Compoint usb wireless adaptors!"

Should also remember to check adaptor in an area of known good signal before asking for help :laugh: