1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HELP! new graphics card won't display!

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by jasper1605, Feb 27, 2010.

1. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    My friend just recently got a gts 250 after using a 9800 gtx+ (why he changed for a restickered card and a lil' power saving I'll never know) and now he can't any picture on the screen. He's using a Pegatron m2n78-la mobo. Any suggestions? All of the basics have been double checked i.e. ensure pcie power is connected, turn the monitor on and so forth. Would the drivers from the 9800 be causing the 250 to fail? The mobo has an onboard gfx could he maybe take the gts out, wipe the 9800 drivers using onboard gfx, install the 250 drivers, turn off computer, place gts in and go from there?

Any help is appreciated :)
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    drivers would have nothing to do with POST not showing. if his PSU/mobo can handle it, everything is plugged in and you get no screen whatsoever - the most likely cause is a bad card.
    I am basing this off the idea that everything was working fine, card switch went perfectly, old card worked new card doesn't.
  3. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    That's no good. He got it off of ebay from a solid source who tests the cards before they send to make sure DOA's don't happen. Could the shipping have damaged it and if so do you think UPS would ever live up to their 100 dollar insurance policy?
  4. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    i agree the card should boot up and put something on the screen even if it's just a warning

yes anything is possible, from so many g's shock fracturing the chips to a massive static spark taking it from the vehicle, all very unlikely but possible ,thing would be proving said van delivery caused it
    and don't relie on flebay's reputation, it really means nothing anyone can be dodgy
  5. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    if he was already using a pciex card, I don't see what any settings in his hp bios would have to do with it not even displaying post.

on that note, how can he get in the bios without being able to see? switching cards would negate the point...

not trying to be a pita, it just doesn't make sense
  7. marvelous211

marvelous211 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Usually resitting the card helps when no picture. Other wise you should RMA.

Another idea would try to use different DVI connectors, slots, etc...
  8. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats why I recommended to reset the CMOS first. He may even have to remove the new card and ensure the system has all stock components first, before proceeding. Still a chance the PSU is a POS, and won't run the card. If both cards are installed, the psu will deff have a problem powering both cards.
  9. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    We're taking the route of filing a UPS claim for shipping damages so hopefully that will go well and try route number 2 with getting a card.
    digibucc says thanks.