1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HELP! New Supertalent SSD bsoded, now cant create new Volume

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Velvet Wafer, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, i just got my brand new ultradrive gx2!
    problem is, after partitioning it, and giving it a drive letter (in this case, E: )
    i was able to get thru half of the AS SSD Benchmark, and got a BSOD during 64thread 4k write test. since then, the SSD gets shown as volume 0, its visible, and seems to work, but no drive letter, no partion, nothing gets shown anymore... its possible to erase the volume,and to mark the "partition" as active, but i cant delete the partition or change the drive letter. Windows then pops up a window which keeps telling me, that the view of my drive management snap-in is not up to date, and that i should restart the snap in, or the drive management, or to reboot the computer. none of these steps help. what can i do now? is the drive dead?
    that wouldnt be cool!:(

please guys, i need your help, and knowledge... its my first SSD:eek:!

EDIT: the BSOD was related to ntoskrnp.exe,the debugging tool says. it was a 0x00000A bsod
    It gets recognized properly in the Bios, no yatapdong!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    i got around the Error myself, it was due to a shitty sata cable, and due to too tight subtimings.. now the ssd works, but i cant figure out, how to get the super talent firmware update bootable from an USB stick! if i make it bootable with dos files, i end up in the emergency console, like nothing besides the console is on the stick. if i simply copy the files over, it also wont work, there is no special bootable file in the ISO. i cant burn the files to cd, because i got no DVD/CD Burner.
    maybe some USB guru can help me, now that i got over my biggest problems?:D

3. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    SSD sucks. Mine just died after less then 1 year. First some mandetory chkdsk´s for some days (XP during start-up) and last night no OS found. A one year old mirror (good old fashion mechanical noisy 7200 rpm drive) is now keeping me running. Maybe chunching and folding is not good without TRIM?

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    folding and crunching writes very often on the SSD, if you install them on it. luckily i got win7 too, so trim is built in ;-) i have to put the pagefile,and the temp files etc. on a HDD tho, its much more safe regarding the lifetime. ;)
    I still havent found out, how to make a USB Stick with the Firmware ISO... can anyone help?:eek:

5. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I've taken a quick look at the iso. The isolinux folder contains btdsk.img which contains the freedos boot files. You should be able to use hp format utility and make the stick bootable with that. Also, regular dos 7 from winxp should work, using the hp format utility to make bootable. I boot dos off my flash drive all the time to flash my video card. You'd have to figure out how to run the updates once you get in there though.

Velvet Wafer says thanks.
  6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    just follow the instructions on this page , and when it comes time to copy files copy the ones from your iso.

it's a guide to install windows 7 from usb stick, but the first part simply explains how to make the stick bootable, after that copy whatever disc image you want. note to copy the files, not the image itself.

then copy your files either through command prompt or right from within windows.

7. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Just let me know if you want me to send you the hp utility, a zip file of the dos 7 files ect and instructions on how to make a dos boot flash drive. If you already know how, disregard this!

8. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all your help people!:)
    in fact, it seems, that the script starting up the firmware flasher was somehow broken... i just was able to access the SSDCHK.EXE, and then, to select the ssd.
    i had to type in "update.bat" (which gets created just after opening SSDCHK.EXE), and promptly the flasher started, and asked me, if i want to update. i will install win 7 on it, and see, what i can get ;)

9. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    jclrita, please do not revive old and buried threds from 2010. Thank you.

Crunching for Team TPU