1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help no signal! Compatibility issues?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by simplycomplex, May 28, 2008.

1. simplycomplex New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello I saw this forum last night while I was looking for an answer to my current problem and the people here seemed incredibly helpful so here goes.
    My friend and I built a computer ordering parts from Newegg to put all the pieces together separately(was cheaper). Now he is a Dell rep and told me the parts looked compatible but I just wanted to make sure.

What is happening is when I turn the power on all the fans spin, the LEDs light up(even on the graphics card) but there is no signal. There is also no beep from the motherboard to signify windows booting up.

I have been able to test the powersource and video card separately in another computer and they work fine. The case also has no obvious flaws and since everything starts up correctly(sort of) I assume the case is working fine. This means the fault lies somewhere between the mobo, cpu, and ram. I just got all this stuff in the mail yesterday. I don't think there is anything wrong with the ram, but my room mates mobo is to old to be compatible with it so I cannot check it out. I tried the comp with other ram in the mobo and it still did not start up, this is what makes me believe it isn't the ram(though it could also be broken and be a separate problem).

Please tech gurus let me know if you've seen this problem before or if these parts are not compatible. I can return all these parts as long as I do it in the next week or two and should be able to get refunds or different parts. Thank you in advance for ANY and ALL assistance you are able to render to me.

My specs :

NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard

MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6550

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ

BFG 650w
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Recheck all connections and reseat all cards/Ram. Try booting with just one stick of RAM.

Use mobo manual and reset CMOS - item #18 on pages 21 with instructions on page 29. Hold <DEL> upon bootup and see if you can get into BIOS and check settings. Check Ram Voltage (Vdimm) to ensure it is set to specs for your RAM. Check VGA/PCI-E setting to ensure they are set for your card.
  3. simplycomplex New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just tried the recommended steps but to no avail.

1. I removed and reseated everything but this led to the same problem as before(no signal or mobo beeps).

2. Can't get into bios at all. Tried holding <del> when boot up but no signal. This means I can't check bios to see if it is set to the correct voltage or anything.

Anyone else have any ideas? Still wondering if maybe these parts are not compatible.
  4. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Could be one of the motherboard screws is not properly attached to the chassis...

Try taking out your motherboard, put it on a cardboard box. Have attached to it only the PSU, RAM and CPU. And CPU heatsink obviously...
    Power it up and listen if it will make the POST beep.
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Make sure the v card and cpu power plugs are connected. Try another monitor ?. LCD ? see if you can tell the LCD to check for Analog and Digital connections.

Try the v card in another system if possible. Check that the cpu and cooler are seated correctly.
  6. simplycomplex New Member

Thanks Received:
    The cpu and cooler were seated correctly and the fan for the cooler comes on just fine. The video card works in my room mates computer so I know it works. Tried my roomies monitor and it didn't work but his comp with my card in it and my cords worked on my monitor.