1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help on BIOS modding for HD 5870

Discussion in 'RBE' started by dante`afk, Apr 13, 2010.

1. dante`afk

Thanks Received:
    heya,

ive problems to get this bios working properly - find it attached.

its a modded asus bios for my powercolor card.

I went through the wizard in the RBE but it seems it does not work.

i want on load 1051/1250 ( its tested stable ) at 1.1875 and idle the clocks which are already standard in.

but instead of this it remains in idle/load at 850/1200 at 1.15 ?

can any1 figure out whats the problem or edit the bios for me please ?

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. E.M.R

E.M.R New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here you go dont mess with this anymore just flash it through ati flash. This should fix ur problem let me know how it goes. thanks

Attached Files:

• Asus.zip
      File size:
      48.5 KB
      Views:
  3. muggy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I actually just went through this in this thread a couple days ago.

What you have to do is leave the voltage the same under "Clock Info 00", that is, leave it at the default voltage (1.1625), and then edit the GPU voltage register of that default voltage (0x18) to the voltage you want, 1.1875.

4. dante`afk

Thanks Received:
    thanks to both of you.

unfortunately this does not work.

as soon as the card needs to switch to 3D the screen freezes...

i tried also to raise the vcore through 0x18 up to 1.26 but it still keeps freezing ?

5. E.M.R

E.M.R New Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe u need more vcore? i unno try 1.350 i know its high but mine needs 1.350 to reach 1000 mzh core.

6. dante`afk

Thanks Received:
    as i said, the oc is tested to be stable - look here :)

[​IMG]

so vcore shouldn't be the problem

7. muggy New Member

Thanks Received:
    What voltage are you getting after flashing, the stock 1.1625V?

Maybe u can test at stock clocks to see if you can get the voltage change to work?

When I look at the 5870 bios, there are registers for 1.15V and 1.1625V. My understanding is the default voltage is 1.1625 for clock info 00. If you can confirm this voltage with gpu-z, then see if changing this voltage register and flashing your card (leaving stock clocks), will up the voltage only. I'm not sure what you should put under the voltage for "Clock Info 00", as for the 5850 the default leaves it at the default 0x17 register, which is 1.088V. The default Asus 5870 bios I downloaded from Techpowerup shows this as a dash. Perhaps you can try both the dash and putting 1.1625V in the box if you haven't already?

Last thing, make sure the voltage you put in the register stays at that value. If I close the voltage register window, and open it again, I find that the voltage is rounded to the nearest allowable voltage.

That is a very nice overclock on that card! I've only seen a handful of cards on the internet that can do that at that voltage!

8. E.M.R

E.M.R New Member

Thanks Received:
    heres the powercolor original bios modded to 1200 core limit and 1400 mem limit on CCC plus voltage tweaked to 1.1875 and 3d clocks to 1050 core/1250 mem. hope this one works make sure u uniinstall msi afterburner, gpu tool, or any 3rd party overclocking tools even ray adams ati tray tools.

Attached Files:

9. dante`afk

Thanks Received:
    hmm, this is somehow strange

muggy, I tested what youve said. the stock vcore on stockclocks with stock bios is for load 1.1250. but this voltage is not recorded in the bios.

this is how the standard bios looks like for asus

[​IMG]

ive tested now and changed every register step by step except 0x16 ( which is obv for idle ) to 1.1875 ( recheckt after clicking ok that he has actually taken it ) and flashed the card.

however in what register the voltage changed, it didnt change on load ???

EMR - the bios has the differend SSID, so it wont flash. 1EL01 error

*Edit*

I read on another forum that voltage changing through bios with cards that got 1.1250 vcore for load does not work with RBE because BAGGZlash cannot figure it out?

I also tried to change it via profiles with msi afterburner. it does not change at all on 2D/3D. even not with hotkeys ?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  10. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

Try PMing Baggzlash or posting in the RBE thread, he may be able to give you an update on the situation "straight from the horse's mouth" so to speak.

11. E.M.R

E.M.R New Member

Thanks Received:
    type this on ati flash without the quotes "Atiflash -f -p 0 powercolor.rom" that should force the ati flash to flash the bios to a different version. as for the load voltage 0x18 on gpu registers.

12. dante`afk

Thanks Received:
    Tatty_One, thanks ive pmd him. dont know whats the official RBE thread of all those threads ^^

EMR, hm ok... but this sounds for me somehow dangerous? no fun at all to crapflash my card so it does not work anymore ;D

13. E.M.R

E.M.R New Member

Thanks Received:
    its not but if ur not sure dont flash it. wut version of powercolor do u have? pcs+? or the regular one?

14. dante`afk

Thanks Received:
    regular one, came with dirt2.

whats the difference from that bios with the other from above ? its same modded as the asus one, just its from powercolor?

15. E.M.R

E.M.R New Member

Thanks Received:
    its the same as the asus but its powercolor original one wit dirt 2 game i think included. there should be no problem flashing it. after u flash it u might have to reinstall ur drivers.

16. dante`afk

Thanks Received:
    ive flashed your bios but still the same problem.

as I also have heared now: cards with 1.1250 vcore at load are through RBE not changable in vcore. baggzlash has not figured it out yet ;F

thanks anyway dude.

17. E.M.R

E.M.R New Member

Thanks Received:
    np maybe someday baggzlash will figure somethin out. just keep ur hopes up.

18. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure what you are talking about here. What is it I can't find out?

19. dante`afk

Thanks Received:
    as I said, I got told that you havent figured out yet why the RBE does not change voltages with cards that have 1.1250 vcore for 3D stockclocks.

so, noone is out there that can flash voltages/clocks with RBE with such a card.

RBE can only flash cards that have stock 3D vcore 1.1625

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  20. MrLeopard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some people affected by this problem are speculating, that those 1.125V are located in another register. I don't know if this is just a wild guess but I do know that all "register 0x18 resistant HD5870s" have a 1.125V 3D vGPU instead of 1.1625V.

21. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    I see.

Maybe it's a driver level override as for the fan control.

22. MrLeopard New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see. Are tools like Afterburner/GPU-Z able to monitor voltages without an appropriate driver installed? Anyway, since I got no understanding of how developing a tool like RBE works I have to ask if it's even possible that those 1.125V are hidden in a register that the current version of RBE can't "read"?

23. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    Very unlikely. Those registers aren't a mysterious thing but a very simple matter: They are well documented bytes of memory the voltage controller chip holds and uses to be programmed, by the BIOS on boot up for example. There are no further registers.
    But of course the driver can program the registers to some other values and overwrite anything the BIOS programmed them to before.

24. MrLeopard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for clearing this up!
    So, this would mean that the driver somehow recognises the type of card and forces the default voltage. And that means there is no solution for our problem, right?

25. muggy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well there is an obvious solution: change the drivers! We either find someone to hack or email ATI and beg, lol.