1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help on old HDD firmware

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JunkBear, Oct 14, 2013.

1. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    Is there anywhere i could find firmware and upgrade tool for a Maxtor (Now seagate) firmware for an UltraATA IDE Maxtor Diamonmax 20? Thx
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    Is there an actual valid reason why you want to update the firmware? even if there was a firmware I doubt it would make the drive any less obsolete. Since there are threads going as far back as 2003/04 on other forums about Diamondmax 20 drives any support for it would have died long ago if not died when Maxtor was acquired by Seagate. New firmware wont add anything worthwhile flashing the drive for so its pointless.

though if you really really need firmware, try contacting Seagate Support. Though I highly doubt they would be able to help you as they took the firmware updates for Samsung drives offline when they acquired them and you cant find them anywhere
  3. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    Of course I contacted Seagate but they do nothing for older hardware since they are not the maker of these maxtor at that time. Do you have the link to it or not ? Thank you.
  4. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    No.....

No I dont....
  5. ron732

ron732

Thanks Received:
    Have you looked at this Seagate Firmware Update page? It seems to indicate that they support DiamondMax drives and has a link to the Seagate Download Finder to check for new firmware.

Firmware Updates for Seagate Products
  6. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Not DiamondMax 20
  7. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    It seems to be like many companies I've seen. The company who to be sold charge more on the sell price to the new company only to sell them older technical papers and manuals. Often the new owner refuses to pay the extras so the manual and support are lost and not available anymore.
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    why do you even want a firmware upgrade? what are you expecting it to change?
  9. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    It's ok I found what I needed on another forum. This thread can be closed. Thank you.
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    so... what was it? you havent answered any questions here at all :/
  11. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    More stable transfer speed.
  12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    firmware wont do that - its an old drive. a clean format and a defrag is the best you can do there.
  13. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    The installation is clean and newly done. HDD has been tested and it has only 400 hours on it even if really old item. It was a firmware to do that back in the days. First you ask me to explain you what's going on because you don't know. After you argue that it's not possible. Come on man I don't have much time to lose so just close this thread I had my answer and I did what I needed. Thank you have a nice day.
  14. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Im sorry but I have to say this...and I can fully understand that English might not be your first language but most if not all your replies have come across extremely rude If not arrogant & conceited.

If you expect people to help you with that kind of attitude then you are very mistaken.

I tried to help you, a few of us tried to help you. You have questions that want answers but when we have questions of our own you ignore them and form your own opinion of things which you think are correct.

Is it really going to kill you to tell us why you want the firmware to an old obsolete hard drive?

If you are such a tech guru then don't bother asking for help. Not that anyone would be so quick to come to your aid next time you need it. I sure as hell wont
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  15. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Why close the thread becuase you don't have much time? Threads are not in the possession of the original poster you know.
  16. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    You are right english is not my first language and I can't understand all the twists of words in all different english across the world. Second I am not a tech guru as you said but I surely asked where to get the firmware and somebody else helped me for that and I thanked them already. Nothing rude in that. Your opinions counted but it did not bring any results so I looked somewhere else. What's rude in that?

For the firmware upgrae I told it already...stabilize the speed on an almost new older drive. So it worth it because it's not like it was old hdd that has a lot of life behind. I sometimes put my hand on new old stock.

I hope it was clearer that time and not too rude for you. :)

Thank you . :toast:
  17. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Too be completely fair Firmware updates helping with performance are not out of this world. It happens to SSds all the time. Hell I think even on certain green drives you could flash them to 7400 RPM and crazy nut jobs used to modify hex values on I think early raptors or WD blues to get close to 10k out of them. If the dude says it helps w/e iv seen some crazy shit. He may have not answered all our questions but I cant help but notice we were a little curt.

glad you found what you need by any chance can you link us to the firmware utility and the person that answered it? I am interested in knowing what they changed that helped so much. It may be old tech but things like this prove useful more often then you may think.

Do you know what problem the original firmware had?
  18. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    I will try to find back the link because it was for the Compaq Evo D510sff I had in section "Your PC atm". http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2993773&postcount=25106

i sold it right away so I did not find useful to keep the software. So I will try to get it back.
    The problem was that in this hdd the Ultra-ATA speed transfer at 7400 RPM with 2M cache which is good for that time but on older computer like the Evo the speed is limited to IDE-100 transfer so basically the HDD was starting to spin to go full speed then back down. Making it noisier and overheat in a certain measure. Like when you slam the gas on a street corner then slam the brakes after you realised you overspeeding.
    The firmware was made for that because for that time the Maxtor DiamondMax 20 was one of the best made and companies that wanted to keep their Evo or government offices upgraded only the memory sticks and the HDD. There was a market for that. They still use it in Government office here in Quebec mostly now Socket 775 Dualcore Evo but smaller dendist office and doctors cabinet use the P4-478 stll.