1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HELP - PC makes hissing noise under load!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by MaxAwesome, Mar 26, 2009.

1. MaxAwesome

MaxAwesome

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, recently I posted here about OCing my E8400... I have it @ 4ghz right now, and everything seems stable.

There's just one thing that worries me: Under load, the computer makes this high-pitch hissing noise... I already ruled out the fans. The sound is definitely "electrical", you know, kind of like interference, buzzing or something. It's very high-pitched (barely audible in terms of frequency, but still noticeable over the sound of the fans).

It's not from the PSU. It seems to come from somewhere around the motherboard... either, the GPU, the CPU or the motherboard itself. I've read it could be bad capacitors?

How bad is this situation? Has anyone experienced this? I've never noticed it before, so I presume this is a consequence of my current OC:

e8400 @ 4ghz

Vcore: 1.38v BIOS; 1.36v CPU-Z

CPU PLL voltage: 1.60v

FSB termination voltage: 1.30v

NB: 1.40v

RAM: 2.10v

I really need help, this is scaring me. I'm afraid something will blow up lol
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    That noise is a choke on either the MB, vid card or in the PSU, many devices make it, it's normal under stress, higher voltages and higher OC's to notice. If you're stable, not overheating, no capacitors are about to burst (if they're the older kind (non-solid) you'll be able to tell because they'll look like they're ballooning).

Odds are it's from the chokes related to CPU supply voltage, I've heard it on different components at different loads and OC's for years, I haven't had a failure because of it.

:toast:
    MaxAwesome says thanks.
  3. MaxAwesome

MaxAwesome

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, man! Good to hear!

I was getting quite worried over this. Glad it's relatively normal and non-threatning.

:toast: