1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help Please! Continous Booting problem - New self built computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Waden84, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Waden84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Motherboard: 865PE-A7 (1.0)

Bios Version: 1.0g (Default)

CPU: P4 Prescott 640 (3.2GHz)

HDD: none but have tried hooking up a WD 120GB IDE drive with no luck and a WD 250GB SATA150 with no result

PSU: 450 Watt from steel aspire x-navigator case which it is inside)

Video Card: AGP 8x eVGA Nvidia 6800GT

Memory: Corsair Value Select 1GB (2X 512MB) PC3200 DDR400 but have tried one stick with same results and some memory from another computer

this forum post best describes the problem:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-16354-Help-with-continuous-booting-problem.html

I am having the same problem.
    Description-
    Turn on my computer minimums connected (

Motherboard,

CPU with Heatsink and fan (have checked thermal grease and don't think thats the problem)
    (also took of heatsink and instead of continuously rebooting it booted once and turned off no harm done)

1 stick 512MB ram in Dimm 1 slot (have also tried some DDR333 256MB ram from some other computers) not the problem,

AGP card w/monitor connected, PS/2 keyboard (have tried multiple ones (not the problem)

internal pc speaker

power and reset buttons on case and a couple of fans

That is the configuration I am trying to get it to first run in

CMOS jumper is not the problem (I know what I am doing)
    reset CMOS by taking out battery and changin jumper and then changing back - that didn't work

I have tried all sorts of maners of configuration with the SATA hardrive the IDE hardrive a DVD drive a CDRW drive and a floppy drive and any sort of way I attach them does not change anything.

I know it is not a mater of the button I am pushing and the way I am pushing it(have tried all sorts of things and they don't work)

I have tried the beeper tests:
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
    and they work like they are supposed to

So basically here is the runndown
    I start the computer and it seems fine like a normal boot( LED on keyboard flash regular kind of stuff happens )
    The POST screens displays similar to step #4 on this site:
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/extra/flashutl/awardflash.htm

The main processor says Intel Pentium 4 800MHZ (200MHZ X 16)

Memory Testing: the correct amount OK

Hyper-threading technology cpu detected (hyper-theading : Enabled )

Then it is blank except for bottom of screen it says press DEL to enter Setup and some other serial number or something

then it reboots and goes blank keyboard flashes and the POST screen displays again

The POST screen is only shown for like 1 second however it is really hard to see what is written in time

pressing or holding del through any of this skips the POST screen and just make it keep rebooting

2. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Check if the cooler is mounted properly.
    Perhaps you can press pause/break in the sec it shows the post, it should pause (or reset again ofcourse). Perhaps you can read whatever it says (errors?)

3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Sounds to me like a PSU Issue. I would be checkin the specs on it.Most case PSU;s are of questionable quality at best Check the Amps on the 12V 3.3V and 5V lines on the Sticker should have at LEAST 18A on the 12V

4. Waden84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think that is it. I switched out the PSU on the system with two others and it did the same as it had before

I actually am using the psu that was in that one on this computer I am typing on

It is supporting a pentium 4, an nvidia 6800GT, and all the bells and whistles that go along with the rest of my stuff

anywho I don't think it is a power supply problem at all

5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    try swapping components one by one, try the cpu in another pc, try the mobo with another cpu, try another video card (dont think that's it)

6. Waden84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah Thats pretty much what I have done but I don't have a spare LGA 775 motherboard or cpu to swap the two out to check them - every thing else pretty much has been checked and found okay.

I'm going to try to find a computer place around town that might let me swap for free possibly - don't know if that will happen but will try

thanks for help though

7. Waden84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    UPDATE:
    newegg.com has an awesome refund policy
    I am sending the ECS 865PE-A7(1.0) back for a full refund and getting an ASUS P5P800 motherboard (cost $30 more but I think it will be a lot better)
    Thanks for the help everyone

8. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    well good news for you. SMILE ^_^

9. Hellraiser1981

Thanks Received:
    The 600 series P4 usually requires the motherboard bios to be updated to support the 64 bit extension, unless the board supports 64 bit from the date of manufacture.

10. Waden84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I thought about cpu support from the default bios on the motherboard but there is nothing I can do.

I can't flash it or update it in any way bc the motherboard won't detect any IDE or ATA devices connected to it and I can't enter the bios to set them up to boot from or anything.

Thanks

11. regg187 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have had a bad cable to my hard drive do stuff like that before,and it drove me nuts until I swapped a known good cable in it. also does that power supply have the 4-pin lead for the P4 processor?

12. Waden84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes the aux power supply is connected and it is not just the harddrive that is having, any device I connect to it is not detected on the post screen (I have extra cables that I have tested and I know they work fine that is definitely not the problem)

I have already decided to return the ecs motherboard for a full refund to newegg.com

I am getting an asus p5p800 that hopefully will have no problems

13. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe I'm totally missing something (because I'm not an Intel guy) but I thought all 600 series were LGA 775 (Socket T), and all LGA 775 used only PCI-E and DDR2, but yet this guy has DDR1 and AGP? :confused:

14. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Maybe when they first came out, however, flipping through newegg I found quite a few LGA 775 motherboards that had AGP and used DDR1.

15. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, my bad.

16. mikechinym

mikechinym New Member

Thanks Received:
    i had experience this problem before, i check everything one by one. take out all the hardware, testing and found no problem. then i put it back, the problem continue...
    finally, i find out that the problem is the "reset switch" that had short-circuit!! after pull out the switch, back to normal.