1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help! Problem with new Water Cooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Paulieg, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm having some problems with my first attempt at water cooling. I received my Swiftech H20-120 Compact CPU water cooling kit yesterday. It is supposed to be an easy installation, and it started out easy. HOWEVER, it got very complicated when screwing down the Apogee drive water block. It's just 4 screws into a back plate, how hard could it be, right? GRRRRR
    After getting one screw in, all was fine...then I ran into problems. I couldn't get the screw across from the first one in. It felt like it wasn't threading through to the backplate. After like an hour of trying, I was finally able to thread it through and get it screwed in. Now the third screw went in fine. The fourth screw was a different story. No matter how much pressure I applied to the block or the screw driver, the screw just won't go in. At 1:00am I finally gave up for the night.
    Even though the fourth screw would not go in, I decided to fire up the system since the block seemed relatively secure. I ran both prime95 and OCCT to test out the cooling. I was not happy with the results. One of the cores was running about 10c (65c) hotter than the other cores at 3.5ghz on 1.45v. This is hotter than my AC freezer 7 pro was! I'm guessing this is due to the uneven pressure caused by the one screw refusing to go in. I'm not sure what to do here. I thought about slightly longer screws, but the screws are pre installed on the block, and I dont think they come out. Please help guys!!!

2. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    are these the bolts that hold the two pieces of the waterblock together or the bolts that mount the block to the board?

BTW : did you get the updated backplate for it?

3. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    It's the screws that mount the block to the board. Updated backplate?? It just came with a backplate in a X shape with stick tape stuff on it to mount it to the back of the board. Just an FYI, this is the new Apogee drive block with the pump built into the block and not the Apogee GT block.

4. Paulieg

Thanks Received:

It's the screws that mount the block to the board. Updated backplate?? It just came with a backplate in a X shape with stick tape stuff on it to mount it to the back of the board. Just an FYI, this is the new Apogee drive block with the pump built into the block and not the Apogee GT block.

5. spixel New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have one of these , the screws can be a bit of a neusence , screw the one in thats causing the most trouble first :]

6. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    did you fully press the backplate through the motherboard?

The threaded 'nipples' of the backplate need to be pressed completely through the holes in the motherboard.

At the least, call swiftech support. They are very good.

I'm surprised you had issues. The documentation that came with all my swiftech stuff was amazing

7. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it looks easy. It's almost like the screws in the block are too short, and barely fit in without pressure on the opposite side.

8. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    I've tried this...then the screw across from it becomes the problem!

9. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    it sounds like when you put one bolt in, the other side goes up.... making that side too short..... right?

Is there anyway you can put equal pressure in the middle to compress both sides the same amount so that you can put the screws in at the same time?

10. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Yup, that's what's happening....I've tried to do the equal pressure thing, but it's a little tricky to do with limited space and hands

11. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can always get longer bolts... then just cut them down to 1/8" longer than the other ones

12. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Are you screwing them ALL the way in before putting another one in? You should put each one in just enough so it bites. Then once all 4 are in tighten them up.

13. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    I thought about longer bolts, but the bolts are built right into the block, and I don't see any way of taking them out.

14. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Yup, just enough to bite.

15. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    I'm starting to wonder if I mounted the back plate properly. I may not have put the nipples all the way through, . If this is the case, it sucks because the backplate is mounted with stickers/stricky tape, so I'm not sure what to do to re-mount it, if I take it off to check.

16. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had to remove that tape when I blew up my old motherboard. As long as you get it off in one piece, it will still be fairly sticky.

If its not all that sticky, use a little heat and it will get gooey again.

Yeah the nips need to be pressed through the board. When its done right, you'll see them just barely popping through the motherboard. Sound like its on backwards or not seated all the way.

Paulieg says thanks.