1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[help] recover from bad flash (getting "adapter not found" error)

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Anusha, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    i had flashed my x800gto to with overclocked clocks and 16pp unlock and it worked like a charm for about a year. since a week or so, i was getting driver unload errors and when i checked, for some reason, the overclock is not stable anymore. i needed to lower the core clock and tested for stability and found the right clocks.

i modded the old BIOS file to the new stable clocks using RaBIT, and i just tried winatiflash. this is in vista x64. i know it is a bad idea, but last time i flashed usnig that tool and it worked. but that was in XP.

anyway, win atiflash said it cannot erase the flashROM and i thought alright, maybe it is not compatible with vista x64. and i put 3dmark all night long to loop and it didn't give the driver unload error, and was working perfectly.

but today i rebooted to flash the card using the usb boot drive i created, and using the atiflash.exe, and there was no POST. system restarted every 2 seconds or so. i plugged it in dad's PC and same result. dad's PC has a G965 mobo and i thought maybe i can recover using the usb drive i created. no luck!

when i used the atiflash -i command, i get "adapter not found".

do i really need a PCI card, or the onboard VGA should have done the trick?

any idea what i should do? please help. :cry:

2. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    Yippie! I got it fixed :D

Onboard VGA can't do anything. I had to buy a 2nd hand (or many-hand) 4MB PCI card to do the job. (i.e. recover the bad flash) I saved the BIOS file, and there wasn't anything there. It dumped a 0-byte bin file. Yikes!

Now it works.

Woooooohooooooooooo!

3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Congrats! Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. Good to see you still enjoying the X800!

4. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i was gonna say do a blind flash back, but glad it worked.

5. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    I'm enjoying it, but if only it had SM3 support...I would be a happy camper.
    And I don't have money to buy a new card :(
    Still I'm dependant on my parents, and they won't buy me one, unless I really screwed it up. Besides, I don't wanna buy an el-cheapo card to replace this one either.

6. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    What does that mean? Blind flashback? You mean, like "forcing" the flash?

And why the heck can't the integrated graphics do the same job as the PCI card? :ohwell: