• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help! Recover from bad flash...

carlt

System Name Gaming PC
Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3.6, 1.375V
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory 4096MB DDR2 Corsair Twin2X CL 5, PC6400/800
Video Card(s) EVGA e-Geforce 8800GTS 512MB @ 770/1900/2200
Storage 2x Samsung HD321KJ 320GB RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Case Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Benchmark Scores 16304 3DMark06
On one of my PCs the network adapter started not working or appearing anywhere. It was working one morning, and then just disappeared. It wasn't visible on the device manager on windows, and ipconfig showed nothing. Naturally I thought it was some kind of windows problem, so I booted into linux; but sadly it didn't see a network adapter either, and ifconfig was empty as well.

The motherboard is a MSI P35 Neo3-F. So I went to the MSI site and only found a page for the Neo3. Surely enough, the internal names (7395) were the same, so I thought nothing of it. There doesn't seem to be a mention of a Neo3-F anywhere so they must just call it Neo3.

So I downloaded the Neo3 1.4 BIOS, put it on a bootable USB stick, booted from it and flashed it by using the provided utility. It said that the flash was successful and I rebooted.

Now nothing really happens anymore. As soon as I turn on the PC the fans spin, but that's all that happens. The screen stays in stand-by (with the light flashing like it always does when the PC is off) and the fans just spin. I don't know if the keyboard is working or not, the num-lock light isn't on and neither are any of the others.

I went to the MSI support site and followed the instructions (make a floppy, put a BIOS ROM on it and call it AMIBOOT.ROM - I used the previous BIOS for this), but pressing Control + Home doesn't do anything when I boot with the floppy in the drive.

I'm all out of ideas short of RMA, but since it was a BIOS flash I'm not sure I can really prove the network adapter was broken anyway and I was trying to fix it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Processor C2duo e6750@ 2800mhz
Motherboard GA-P43T-ES3G
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Memory 2x2Gb Kingstone HyperX DDR3 1600 (KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX )
Video Card(s) HIS HD 6870
Storage samsung HD103SJ
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Audio Device(s) X-FI Titanium Pci-e
Power Supply Xigmatek NRP-PC702 700W
Software win7 ultimate -64bit
Last edited: