1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help...Sapphire GDDR4 3870 can't flash BIOS.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by pablo NZ, Mar 18, 2008.

1. pablo NZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi folks, I have what seems to be two early batches of 3870 from Sapphire with the fan speed locked to 25% (90'C+ load temps!). One card I was able to flash with a fixed BIOS and fan speed ramps up perfectly, but the other one I can't flash even using the force command with atiflash, infact I can't even save the BIOS file from GPU-z (it says "BIOS reading not supported on this device") :banghead:

The one that didn't flash also only reports the subvendor as "ATI" in GPU-z, whereas the other one correctly identified as Sapphire.

Does anyone know a way around this?

They both also suck at overclocking (max 800MHz core) but I'm not too bothered about that as long as I can fix the fan settings to run them in Crossfire.

2. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the fan speed isnt actually locked at 25% its just targets 90 as the operating temp.. it will run faster if the card tries to run hotter for any reason.. its how ati set it.. 90 C operating temps and quiet running.. it wont do it any harm..

as regards your bios flashing are the cards both the same.. ???

trog

3. pablo NZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see, now that you mention it I did actually notice the fan speed go up to about 33% when it hit 90'C, but that's still too slow for my liking. I can force the fan speed to 55% in Rivatuner but I need a long term solution for when I put them in Crossfire. I'm not personally happy with the bottom card running at 90'C even if it doesn't do any harm, I like my case temps low :p

To answer your question - both cards look physically identical, but they have different BIOS versions and different subvendor IDs in GPUz. Here's a screeny of the one that doesn't want to play nice...

Attached Files:

4. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    its not normal.. looks like the early 67 bios.. have u tried taking one card out to do the flashing.. subvender stuff dosnt matter..

the fanfix bios will drop your temps if u can flash both cards with it.. i have no idea why u are having problems with the one card thow..

trog

its a not zip i have just renamed it to upload

Attached Files:

5. pablo NZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've only tried with one card at a time.

It certainly is confuddling :ohwell:

edit: yip that's the bios I used on the good card.