1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help, TForce 550 Install problems....

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by pcastleberg, Jan 19, 2007.

1. pcastleberg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

First post here, thanks in advance for all your help. I looked and I think I am posting this in the correct area but if not please let me know and I will move it. Also sorry for the lengthy post but I figured more detail was better than less.

I am building a new system. First here are the specs....
    Case: Antec Sonata II with 450W PS
    MB: Biostar TForce 550 v1.3
    RAM: Geil 2GB matched pair (1GB X 2)
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800
    HD: 2X Seagate 320 GB SATA2 ST3320620AS
    GPU: ATI All In Wonder 1900XT
    OS: Windows XP Pro (if I can ever get it to install...!)
    DVD-RW
    Flash card reader drive....

PROBLEM!!!
    Ok, got it all assembled, with the hard drives hooked up. I even bought SATAII cables because I saw lots of good reviews for them working better than the standard SATA cables.

I went to the BIOS and enabled RAID and then enabled it specifically for SATA1 Primary and Secondary. Then I saved and the PC restarted and I got a screen where I could hit F12 to configure raid setup.

In the raid setup I could see the two HDs and added them to the RAID1 (mirrored) configuration that I wanted to setup. Then I restarted again with a Seagate HD boot disk and the boot disk saw 1 320GB HD (which I am assuming is correct since I have never done raid before) which I formated to NTFS. It then prompted me to reboot with the windows disk in to install windows.

I put the XP Pro disk in and rebooted. It rebooted, started the windows XP setup and when I got the point to pick install....NO HDs....

My first assumption was that in needed SATA drivers for the motherboard to install windows....so I jumped out to Biostar's website but they don't provide any SATA drivers for the TForce 550 and there are no SATA drivers on the included drivers CD.

Then after digging around on their website they don't list the TForce 550 as needing the SATA drivers for installing.

At this point I am lost and don't know what to do to get windows to see the drives so I can install. I am assuming I need drivers or that I have a bios option wrong but I can't find any drivers and I can't see a bios option that obviously jumps off the page at me and say "I'm the one to cure your ills".

Anyone have any suggestions? I am friggin lost.... :cry:

PC...
  2. pcastleberg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nevermind....Their documentation sucks but XooM got me pointed in the right direction.

I did need to load the drivers during the Windows XP initial setup via the F6 key. To make the disk I had to put the drivers CD for the motherboard in another PC's CD drive and then navigate to the directory: \Driver\Chipset\Nvidia\Raid_Disk\MCP55\

Once there I had to place a blank floppy in the A:\ Drive then pick the correct executable (sataraid_XP_916.exe) and bingo I had my disk to load the drivers.

Note that it puts two different drivers on the disk for the windows setup process and both need to be loaded before continuing the installation.

XooM also pointed me to THIS little link which details some of the bios setup required. Its for a different/older chipset but the setup is practically identical so if anyone reads this and needs help setting up the raid settings in the bios follow the link.

XooM thanks for your help. Figured I would type this little tutorial because someone else might have the same problem and find this while googling for an answer.

PC