1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HELP!!! Vista x64 Updates reappearing!!!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Firedomain, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    SOLVED!!!! refer to my last post.

as the title says, i have downloaded updates many times & they keep reappearing.
    usually it would end by saying 7 or 8 out of 30 or so failed & i get the error 80070002. i have tried all the methods Microsoft gives to fix that error & no help. (plz dont ask me 2 do the same crap again, i've already done it atleast 3x!)
    so i manually downloaded the updates in the list (available updates list, NOT the list in the screenshot)
    & then attempted to manually install them all 1 by 1... slowly each one would take a little bit longer to load then the last. till finally i had installed em all... i restarted the comp & vista did its normal taking ages to configure updates thing & then windows loaded & i checked the updates & it said 1 available update! so i updated & it said successful!
    restarted the computer & surprise surprise... 15 available updates!!!!!:twitch: all ones i have attempted to install over & over....:shadedshu so then i went into programs & features & selected installed updates & checked the list with the ones i downloaded & i was shocked to find that only 1 of the updates that i manually downloaded & installed was in the list!!!!:mad:

im about 2 the point of throwing the bloody thing out a window!:banghead:
    i have tried almost everything i can think of.....:confused:

is there a minimum amount of free space u need or ur C drive to update or anything???

i give up... please help me..... if u need more info just ask....

cheers:toast:

(files on the left are 1s i have downloaded & tried to install)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  2. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Not sure bout all your updates not werking im not suprised k938979 wasnt werking that was giving me the shits for ages always failing for some reason 1 day it werked if you havnt got it figured out maybe call ms ok its not fun talkin to some indian dude miles away but u might get an answer. Below my tale of woe

[​IMG]

Firedomain says thanks.
  3. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    right now mine says 12 important & 3 otpional updates available..... im just affraid 2 download them coz it will most likely do what its dont the other times & make em all reappear!
    im not even sure if i have current updates or not anymore!!!

4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I turn off automatic updates, then, once every couple of week when I have some time, I download all the ones I want and install them, have not had any issue myself, that way I am kind of controlling my PC.....not Micro....manage......sorry I mean .....soft :D

Sorry mines 32bit so thats probably why I have not had the same issues!

Firedomain says thanks.
  5. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    i only set mine up to tell me whats available so it doesn't install anything i dont wanna!
    thats y i never got that crap from MS when they cracked down on "genuine software" for XP
    anywho, i might have 2 mess around with disabling the service & installing em or something...

(p.s. thanx for some ppl finaly replying!)

6. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    the screeny i took was from last night so you can see what updates ive got recently dont no if thats the same for yours Windows update says windows is up to date.

7. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    mine said it was up do date once!!!!!! thats the time when i said in the 1st post after i installed the 1 remaining update & it said up to date but once i restarted....... different story.. :(

8. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    dang well i do some investigating got some real puter wizz friends n if they have any answers ill let ya no ps good to see another adelaide person in here :toast:

9. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    just wiped my computer the other day & so far it appears that the updates are doing it again.. i tried to install all the update files i downloaded befor running automatic update. luckily it didn't do the stupid thing where it takes longer for every update to load... they actually worked at a good speed.

will post again if it looks like its stopped the problem (doubt it though)

10. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Update fd is the problem gone i hope so mate.

11. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    problem still exists! i have 44 important updates that i can not apply!!!......
    i've given up a while ago... im just hoping that my virus scanner will help keep me safe seeing as MS cant!

12. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Ya got that sotred out now man its been a while since ya updated.

13. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol... its been a while coz i gave up ages ago! lol.....

hopefully SP1 (installing right now) will let everything install ok seeing as the standalone installer contains all the current updates.... crossing my fingers....

14. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    that failed... but after attempt 2 i finally installed it... for anyone reading this thread looking for help to there problem, mine was simply to do with me using symbolic links for my program files (using links to redirect data to another location, in my case a separate partition.)
    i totally forgot about it & didn't expect it to give me hassles with updates... after comming across an article while i was researching something totally off the topic it finally clicked that i was using them... so i loaded the vista disc, went into command prompt & copied my program files 2 my c drive & replaced the symbolic links with the program files, restarted & installed SP1 with no problems & windows is still activated!... so im simply gonna recreate the symbolic links & if i ever have problems again i'll just do these steps again!....... such a pain that it took this long 2 figure out that simple thing!!!! ah well, am running SP1 now & am more secure than ever :D