1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help! Windows Loads Too Slow.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by rheged, May 18, 2013.

1. rheged

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I've recently built a desktop PC for my home to the following specs (same as in the drop down menu to the left under my name)

CPU: AMD Piledriver FX6 3.6GHz
    MOBO: Gigabyte G8-7LMT-S2P
    RAM: Corsair 2 x 2GB of 1333MHz DDR3
    Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500Gb
    PSU: Novatech 750W

O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Ever since I first built the machine, the boot time (from power on to desktop appearing and all startup programs like firewall etc being ready) has been around 1m30s. From what I've heard - perhaps wrongly - is that with these specs I should be expecting things to be a little faster than that. So, I set out and started removing programs from the start up section of msconfig with no significant change to the boot time. I turned off all the extra shiny bits in windows, like the aero theme - no change still. I've updated the BIOS, run malware/spyware/virus scans and still nothing. I've defragged the HDD and still no change. Can anyone suggest something I might have missed? I don't know if its relevant or not but I do NOT have a user account setup in Windows. Could this be causing a problem? I should point out I've not tried overclocking as I only have an out-of-the-box cooler at present.

Any ideas would be great. :banghead:

In advance, thanks :)

2. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    when have u last defraged that 500gb hdd?

and try go to Start-->Run type msconfig choose boot click Advanced options... and click on "Number of processors" and all 6 cores in the roll window there and see if that plus a defrag won't help a little ^^

3. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    how old is the harddrive? seagate drives dont age well.

also turn on fast boot from bios and things.

your motherboard is not really AM3+, and its in the low low end. that might be the problem.

4. rheged

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

Drive has been defragged in the last 24hrs and it's only about 6 weeks old. All 6 processors are enabled in msconfig. As for 'fast boot', I couldn't find such an option in the BIOS, although I did turn on the 'Turbo Core' feature within the BIOS. No change still...

The system initially boots very rapidly up to the point where windows starts to load. The initial windows screen with the swirly coloured blobs goes fast enough but then the next screen (with swirly blue circle cursor thing) takes about 45s or so to progress to the desktop. Once windows has finished loading, everything runs really nicely.

5. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    well i guess you have hit your limit. everything seems to be fine. BTW, your motherboard does not officially support that CPU of yours. i think that might be the problem.

6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    sounds like a format and fresh drivers are due, antivirus and firewalls do slow down a machines boot sequence too. That ram is at the low end for that setup, if the mobo supports 1600 put it in

7. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

download ccleaner and disable startup from there perhaps and run cleaner while you're at it too.

8. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Have you installed the motherboard driver?

Get them from here: you might not be running the correct sata driver

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3833#dl

Edit - 1m30 isn't all that slow for a HDD. My HTPC takes at least 3 mins from when i press the power button.

Edit 2 - Superfetch can also cause problems with boot and load times. You may want to try disabling that in services just to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    You could try Soluto and see how long things are taking to boot, how ever it's web based to now although with a good firewall you can block the app from connecting online and it still works..

Shame they got to nosy as i am sure they are collecting data of peoples PC's but as i said you can block that shit with a good FW.

To see a good example how long the system takes to boot use Boot Racer how ever it don't tell you sadly what times the apps that load take.

Old install used to be faster ?, maybe some apps need to be removed from the start up or it is time for a fresh OS install. Might want to do a chkdsk too see if there is any errors on the drives.

10. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    If the board doesn't fully support the CPU it might be working in fail-safe mode (800Mhz), that might be the reason for the slow boot.

Boot into Windows and run CPU-Z to check your processor speed. If CnQ is enabled it should run at 800Mhz but once it gets loaded it should go up. Run a program like Intel Burn Test or OCCT to load the processor and check your speeds.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Baum

Thanks Received:
    well apart from all the usual stuff here like ccleaner and msconfig, defrag...

guess what mine issue was a while back?

inside the eventlog of windows 7 you can find some red marked allerts like "dll" that didn't load properly on startup.

you have to look inside your "event log" from windows:
    The Windows System Event Log can be found through right clicking the My Computer icon and left clicking Manage. Next, click Event Viewer in the tree on the left and click System.

with that info you can atleast take away some bricks from the startup process :D

EDIT:

why would this board not support his cpu? according to gigabyte it takes from rev 3.1 up to 5.0 some bulldozer and rare a vishera cpu?

12. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    1m30s really is not that slow.... and is about what i would expect from that type of PC without some extreme micro management.

13. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I do chkdsk with certain parameters along with defrag from CMD. Black Viper is a good place to go for startup processes too

14. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Have you gone into the BIOS and set it from IDE mode to AHCI mode? this will increase your times.

Run a HDD scan just incase the HDD is faulty? sometimes it can happen to brand new drives.

15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    This. If you don't like it you can start cutting corners by limiting what starts at boot but in general that not too bad. If you don't like it, buy an SSD. I don't think anything other than hard drive access speeds are to blame unless your filling memory and hitting swap space.

rheged says thanks.
  16. rheged

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, thanks for the input. Aquinus, I think you might be right. I've tried pretty much most of what you guys have suggested and I'm not making any headway. I think we'll leave it at that (at least until I get afford some better gear!)

Once again, thanks for all your help. Awesome response. Cheers dudes :)