1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with BF3 Micro-Stuttering

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by jonathan1107, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

are you running on HDMI? cause its well known that ATI + HDMI + win7 locks to 59.97Hz (reads as 59), not 60 on some monitors.

you could probably fix it as well by forcing 60Hz somehow.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    nah, I was running @ 60hz the whole time... I use DVI and not HDMI...

I fixed my problem by doing what I explained above...

3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    What you are basically saying is that your problem is caused by an incompatibility between your VGA and your monitor....

4. Richieb0y

Richieb0y New Member

Thanks Received:
    oke i tought that my gpu was broken glad im not the only one

5. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    Very honnestly, I'm not a PC technician... so I don't know if I'm saying the VGA is incompatible with the monitor ...

All I know is capping the FPS @ 59 while v-sync is on magically fixed it for me... I can live with the 1 FPS loss lol

6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    IS the monitor driver installed?

And yeah, that is basically what it all boils down to. I am not sure why you need to force 59Hz, but many games do have this option, 59 Hz, so perhaps this isn't even an uncommon problem...game devs put that option there for some reason...

It's just that it's not something that I have personally run into, ever. Seems few people do.

7. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    I'll check about the monitor, but I remember using the 59. something hz in the bf3 menu which didn't fix it... and I had also tried the 50hz... Looks like in my case, it's really the actual capping that fixes it...

again, I'll go check about the monitor ... when you say driver installed... you mean it shows up in the device manager? or are you asking if it came with a cd with driver software on it?

8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    driver..depends. When properly installed, the EDID data, whic htelsl the system what resolutions and such the monitor supports, should prevent issues like this, but then, sometimes EDID doesn't work right.

It's interesting. There has to be something here that is missed, or straight up, it's a compatibility issue.

9. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    my monitor is the asus 24 ve248h btw

10. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    i can agree with dave my EDID for my samsung is all sorts of fucked up and caused issues removing EDID fixed it but it caused screwed up colors and and a few other issues removing it and running it as generic fixed a few problems granted this was with my Samsung T260HD, the T24 dosent have that issue but eitherway. worth looking into.

11. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah first and foremost go to Display Properties and make sure it actually shows your Asus model as opposed to Default Display or something.

12. 7.62

7.62 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope you tested this on the same server.

13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i bet if you check, you'll find 59Hz as an option (i didnt see you answer if you were running HDMI or not).

but yes, your problem is an incompatibility with the monitor, and locking to 59Hz or 59FPS is the fix. i've seen/reported this on the forums before, but it can definitely be an odd issue to diagnose.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. dehdar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Congratulations! I felt so bad for you not being able to play considering how much effort and money you've put into your rig. Also thanks for sharing your solution. :)

15. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I checked my monitor details, and it looks fine...

How do I proceed into finding possible incompatibility issues? and how do I fix em? I have no idea where to find or edit the EDID, and the risks involved...

I have no idea if it's worth it... especially since everything is working fine and dandy right now...

16. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    He's saying the "fix" is lock refresh rate at 59Hz but if it's working now like you just said...

17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    its because his monitor is running at 59.97Hz not 60. changing off HDMI always fixed it for me.

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    First Gen Core I7 is fine, overclocking causes odd issues tho. Run the CPU Stock for awhile

19. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Screen tearing never bothers me. I always force v-sync off.

It's honestly not noticeable most of the time. I just like running 200fps even though my eyes don't know it, my brain does :p

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    other solutions are preferable, because all you're doing is wasting power and causing more heat - which in turn lessens the lifespan of your hardware.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I might be wasting power, but in lifespan terms, you're talking the difference of maybe a couple of years and hardware generally lasts much longer than you would ever need it to.

22. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    .... again, I don't use HDMI... and I didn't select 59hz (or anything close to that) "in the BF3 menus.

Altho there is such an option in the BF3 menu (I get to choose between 59.~ and 50hz and 60hz) But whatever I choose there it doesn't fix it... I fixed my problem Using Bandicam to CAP my FPS @ 59FPS (not hz) or at least, not hz in windows options...

As for me, I completly disagree with the guy that says he doesn't notice when V-Sync off... Either he's blind or he plays games only in wide-open areas... Because the moment you look @ wall in a game, usually the FPS jumps to high numbers which causes HORRIBLE screen tearing...

23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have perfect vision and I don't get screen tearing with vsync off. I also don't need to set anything to 59fps. There's a problem with your system (not with someone's eyesight) if you're getting these issues. What they are? I have no idea.

24. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    No, I'm sorry... but there's a reason V-Sync exists, and it is so that the FPS doesn't go beyond one's screen refresh rate to avoid guess what: Screen tearing...

Like I said, if you play a game where your FPS doesn't jump from say 40 FPS to 180 FPS in certain areas, you might not get screen tearing...

This has nothing to do with one's system or hardware... Screentearing is a known phenomenon.
    Unless you have a special condition I'm not aware of, what you claim (no screen tearing with V-Sync off, while using 6950 CF) is clearly impossible.

Or at least, that's what I've been brought to understand from hundreds of users. 6 of my friends have v-sync on because they can't stand the screen tearing... I only know one of my friends who doesn't have v-sync on because he hates input lag...

From Wikipedia: Screen tearing is a visual artifact in video where information from two or more different frames is shown in a display device in a single screen draw.

The artifact occurs when the video feed sent to the device isn't in sync with the display's refresh, be it due to non-matching refresh rates, or simply lack of sync between the two. During video motion, screen tearing creates a torn look as edges of objects (such as a wall or a tree) fail to line up.

Tearing can occur with most common display technologies and video cards, and is most noticeable on situations where horizontally-moving visuals are commonly found, such as in slow camera pans in a movie, or classic side-scrolling video games

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    What erocker is saying is that he is using a very similar system, but has none of the problems you have reported.

He is more than likely NOT using the same monitor.

I also have a very similar config, and do not have the problems you do. Performance is enough that enabling V-sync just isn't needed. Why the two of us do not need it and you do, seems odd, but I'm just gonna say it's your monitor, as you forcing 59Hz fixed the issue to your satisfaction.

I think he understands v-sync fairly well; but that specifically wasn't why he commented.