1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with buying an AMP or DAC

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Irish_PXzyan, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Howdy lads.

I currently have a Genius 6000 5.1 analog speaker system and I have them connected up to my TV via 3.5mm connection. I only have it setup as 2.1 at the momment as the other speakers won't work as far as I understand?!

Anyway, I'm not sure what I need to do next in order to get 5.1 audio. I want something that will play stereo sources and put into virtual surround sound and obviously play normal DD/DTS formats.

Since this speaker system is analog, what're my options? Do I get an AVR?? Or can I just get a DAC?

Any advice would be great lads! thanks ^^

2. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Buy home theater receiver with analog outputs. Connect analog outputs to each speaker. Connect all gear to home theater receiver. Connect video output of home theater receiver to TV. Home theater receiver handles all audio and video switching. TV is used only as a monitor.

Irish_PXzyan says thanks.
  3. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Okay sounds good man, This will work with PS4 and a laptop computer and normal television viewing yes??

4. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    If you speaker system has analog inputs for each speaker, yes. It is not easy to find a receiver with unamplified outputs, though. Best bet would be to buy a common receiver with just traditional amplified outputs and connect your speakers directly to it rather that to the sub, which is where the amp for the speakers is now. If you sub takes an unamplified output, you should be all set.

5. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
  6. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    That Creative device will only get you 5.1 sound from pre-recorded 5.1 tracks like those on DVDs or Blu-rays that you playback on your PC. It won't get you 5.1 sound from PC games. It also won't get you 5.1 sound from your TV or any game console because there isn't any way to connect a TV or game console to it.

7. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
  8. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
  9. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Looks good man! bit pricey though?! I would much prefer to spend 100 Euro max for a DAC.
    That creative sound blaster supports virtual surround sound so surely that'll do?!?!