1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with drivers for Alienware M11x R1

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Red_Machine, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys.

I have an Alienware M11x R1 (as per my sig). It's an awesome machine, but the drivers are getting so out of date that some newer games refuse to run.

It uses a custom switchable graphics solution. There's an Alienware branded applet that at the press of a button, switches from the integrated Intel GMA to the dedicated nVIDIA chip and vice-versa. Because this isn't Optimus, I can't just install the standard nVIDIA drivers otherwise I'll break the switching system and Dell haven't updated them since R263.08.

Before Dell updated them, a guy on the Dell forums came up with a way to rig up the driver package provided by Dell with the updated drivers from nVIDIA, but this does not seem to work with the latest package and it just breaks the switching system still.

Basically, I'm asking if anyone know of or can come up with a way for me to be able to use the latest drivers and still have the switchable graphics. It's starting to get annoying...

2. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    I feel your pain. I am also an R1 owner; however, I just gave up on the switching system, set it to discrete in the BIOS, and updated to the latest drivers. It has been a much more pleasant experience since then.

3. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    But I actually use this as a portable system. Running in discrete mode chops the battery life in half.

4. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Can you switch to the Intel GPU in the bios? If so, you could run that through the bios while your using the laptop as a portable unit running on the battery.
    Once you are going to plug it in for gaming purposes you could then switch back to the Nvidia card through the bios.

Crunching for Team TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    No, the only options are Switchable and Discrete. Both make it run in nVIDIA mode if the newer drivers are installed.

6. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Bump.

7. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith

Thanks Received:
    I am in the same situation as you but I have yet tonencounter a game I'm having problems with. (yet)

Also do you have a link for the latest drivers? All I am getting is below the current ones I have.

8. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    You just have to go to the Dell site and go to the driver page, then pick the M11x R1. Dell has the latest listed (ignore the beta driver, it's older).