• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with i7 14700K tuning

xorbers

I just upgraded my CPU to i7 14700k. Everything is set to default in BIOS except that XMP is enabled and EMC is disabled. I know these CPUs are running pretty hot so is there anything else I can set to make it a bit cooler?

Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI Cooler: SharkGaming Bloodfreezer 360 Watercooling

In C24 it insta thermal throttles around 100c.

I dont want to OC it, just make it cooler without loss of performance. I read something about LLC but im not sure how it works or how to set it correct.

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite Ax DDR5
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 + P12 Max Fans
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 5600 cl36 Oc'd to 6000 cl32
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 4090 24GB (non-oc version, undervolted)
Storage 2TB Netac nv7000 + 2TB P5 Plus + 2TB SN850X + 2*(4TB MX500) in raid 0. 14TB Total.
Display(s) Dell 23.5" 1440P IPS panel (P2416D)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply Gigabyte 850w (ud850gm pg5)
Mouse Some piece of shit from China
Keyboard Some piece of shit from China
Software Yes Please?
Yeah see I just don't get it. I have a 240mm aio and my 14700k never hits 100c even during cinebench... just with out of the box settings. But I hear stories like yours a lot. You can undervolt or set a power limit ( but that alone can reduce clocks under heavy load)

You can undervolt in your bios, or with throttlestop. You could try -100mv and see if its stable... and go up or down from there.

xorbers

Yeah see I just don't get it. I have a 240mm aio and my 14700k never hits 100c even during cinebench... just with out of the box settings. But I hear stories like yours a lot. You can undervolt or set a power limit ( but that alone can reduce clocks under heavy load)

You can undervolt in your bios, or with throttlestop. You could try -100mv and see if its stable... and go up or down from there.
I actually tried that yesterday, seems like I can just UV to around 0.03, if I go further down it crashes during C24. I dont know if ASUS maybe have some other setting that is pushing the limits like MCE does that is worth turning off.

There is probably something wrong with your water cooler or the mounting of the block.

I presume that you updated the BIOS to support the new CPU?

xorbers

There is probably something wrong with your water cooler or the mounting of the block.

I presume that you updated the BIOS to support the new CPU?
Yes, latest bios is installed. Im not sure how to know if the block is installed correctly, any tip on how to verify?

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Storage 2TB Netac nv7000 + 2TB P5 Plus + 2TB SN850X + 2*(4TB MX500) in raid 0. 14TB Total.
Software Yes Please?
I actually tried that yesterday, seems like I can just UV to around 0.03, if I go further down it crashes during C24. I dont know if ASUS maybe have some other setting that is pushing the limits like MCE does that is worth turning off.
Really? Hmmm, that seems really low. I don't have a Z board but I think there's an option thats needs to be switched first called something like 'disable undervolt protection' have you done that? Then again, you'd think that would either 1) stop if from working, or hamper performance, not cause a crash. But worth a try if you haven't already.

But if you did indeed lose out on the silicon lottery that bad, I guess that would leave you with LLC (set it as low as it will go) and power limits ( set them to intel's recommended: 253w) that should still be able to keep good performance.

If you're still insta-throttling after that... I'd say... something is wrong with the cooler or the mounting or something. Sure there's no plastic film on the cold-plate..? All your fans are oriented the right way?

xorbers

Really? Hmmm, that seems really low. I don't have a Z board but I think there's an option thats needs to be switched first called something like 'disable undervolt protection' have you done that? Then again, you'd think that would either 1) stop if from working, or hamper performance, not cause a crash. But worth a try if you haven't already.

But if you did indeed lose out on the silicon lottery that bad, I guess that would leave you with LLC (set it as low as it will go) and power limits ( set them to intel's recommended: 253w) that should still be able to keep good performance.

If you're still insta-throttling after that... I'd say... something is wrong with the cooler or the mounting or something. Sure there's no plastic film on the cold-plate..? All your fans are oriented the right way?
Ye Undervolt Protection is disabled. I disabled the MCE so its set to Intels stock, 253w. I had a i7 13700f before this CPU with the same cooler so no plastic film there. Might be that i mounted the block bad in some way but im not sure how to verify that?

Yes, latest bios is installed. Im not sure how to know if the block is installed correctly, any tip on how to verify?
You can remove the block from the cpu and see, how thick the layer of the paste looks, you may post the photos of both the CPU and block here so that people can tell you if the layer looks good or if it is too thick. You removed the plastic protective film from the block, right?

The only other possibility is that you misconnected or misadjusted the pump in the AIO and it runs at some very low speed.

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Software Yes Please?
Additionally, while I never found one necessary, one of those cpu contact frames could help. Though if there's a deeper problem with your cooler I'm afraid it wont fix that.

Edit: couple other things popped into my head. Could be as simple as uneven pressure on the cpu... you know.... screw each screw in a couple turns at a time, one by one. Could also be old paste on the coldplate that has dried and hasn't been properly cleaned off. That happened to me before. Take some iso and scrub it until nothing comes off.

Last edited:

xorbers

Additionally, while I never found one necessary, one of those cpu contact frames could help. Though if there's a deeper problem with your cooler I'm afraid it wont fix that.

Edit: couple other things popped into my head. Could be as simple as uneven pressure on the cpu... you know.... screw each screw in a couple turns at a time, one by one. Could also be old paste on the coldplate that has dried and hasn't been properly cleaned off. That happened to me before. Take some iso and scrub it until nothing comes off.
I did the "screw-thing" you mentioned, didn't remove the block though. Below are some HWMonitor screens after a CB24 benchmark. It does not insta-throttle, it goes up to 100C after like 2minutes, maybe this is pretty normal with those CPU:s?

Attachments

• hwmonitor.png
    hwmonitor.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 210
Voltages look normal. With 250W, FUNCTIONAL water cooler and proper mounting of the block you should not be throttling. I think that it is far more probable that there is some problem with the cooler or block mounting than with the CPU itself.

EDIT: There is suspitiously little information about your cooler on the internet. Why dont you get some normal cooler from a respected brand?

Last edited:

xorbers

Voltages look normal. With 250W, FUNCTIONAL water cooler and proper mounting of the block you should not be throttling. I think that it is far more probable that there is some problem with the cooler or block mounting than with the CPU itself.

EDIT: There is suspitiously little information about your cooler on the internet. Why dont you get some normal cooler from respected brand?
Ye I know, I bought the pc from shark gaming so I didnt pick the cooler myself. But i'm thinking about buying another one. The CPU I had before this, 13700f, also reached 100c, with the same cooler. Do you have a specific cooler in mind that would be good for this?

Just consult some reviews of the coolers.

You could also power limit the CPU more and run it with a normal air cooler, even a small cheap cooler as Arctic Freezer 34 can cool 180W comfortably.

ir_cow

Staff member
Change your PL1/PL2 power limits down to 250w and start there. I wouldn't be surprised if it defaulted to 4096w.

I know Hwinfo shows 250, but PL1 could be still 4096 which may not show up on the tables.

Also don't forget to remove the plastic off the cooler before installing. Very common mistake.

If you are willing to lower clocks just a little you might get a way better UV or keeping lower temperature by limiting or better cooling to say 90°C also allows for better UV

Bought a new cooler and that fixed everything. Now I'm using "EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB". 85c full load C24 and 50-55c while gaming.
Great, it looks like a nice cooler! 14700K is a very powerful CPU, and you may find that if you power limit it a bit (to 200W for example), you will stil retain most of the performance, however you will get even nicer temps than 85°C. It depends if you will be using it productively with very high load for long periods of time. 253W is still a lot of power.

ir_cow

Staff member
360 AIO can do 280w without issue. But if you aren't messing with overclocking, it probably won't pass that under full load.

System Name I don't name my rig
Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Memory Corsair 3600mhz something die cl18 at 4000mhz
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Display(s) Some LED 1080P TV
Case Open bench
Audio Device(s) Some Old Sherwood stereo and old cabinet speakers
Power Supply Antec 850w Continous Power Series (since 2009)
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce. Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2
I just upgraded my CPU to i7 14700k. Everything is set to default in BIOS except that XMP is enabled and EMC is disabled. I know these CPUs are running pretty hot so is there anything else I can set to make it a bit cooler?

Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI Cooler: SharkGaming Bloodfreezer 360 Watercooling

In C24 it insta thermal throttles around 100c.

I dont want to OC it, just make it cooler without loss of performance. I read something about LLC but im not sure how it works or how to set it correct.
Disable "Asus performance enhancement" and tune the LLC. This will help tremendously.

Alain De Loin

You have two options: either your cooling system is inefficient, or you installed it incorrectly, where incorrect installation may mean that it adheres unevenly to the IHS of the processor during installation.
I have an i7 14700 cooled with AiO 360 from LF, I have already had throttling only because I unevenly tightened the screws securing the pump to the processor socket, and recently after switching to LFIII I had slight throttling, but I used MX6 which was included in the set.
I don't know your AIO setup, but I hope you replaced the mounting plate with something like thermalright? If not, do it. Additionally, you can use PTM7950 instead of standard thermal paste, which will help you avoid mistakes when tightening.
PTM worked wonders for me, I returned to the standard settings in the BIOS and after 30 minutes of CB24 or CB23, the temperatures do not exceed 90 degrees Celsius, which is already known for the mounting plate from LFIII sucks.
Of course, undervolting is a particularly helpful solution, it will save you several dozen kilowatts of energy per year, and in games it has absolutely no importance.
But first, get the system to work properly with standard settings.