1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with installing new graphics card, Nvidia to ATi

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by KKSlider1337, Feb 10, 2009.

1. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone, I have a 8800GTS 320mb currently installed and I now have an Ati 4850 to go in its place. But I have never done anything like this; I've never touched the components of my PC before.

I think I can work out the hardware side of it but its the drivers part that's really got me stumped. I don't want to mess up anywhere, but I know I have to uninstall the Nvidia drivers first.

I need to be wary because I have an NForce mobo so I can't afford to uninstall that. In add/remove programs there are "Nvidia Drivers" and "Nvidia Physx."

I'm on Vista, and when I go on uninstall Nvidia Drivers a dialog box comes up asking me whether I want to:

Remove all Nvidia Drivers INCLUDING display

Remove all Nvidia Drivers EXCLUDING display

Remove only the following:
    | | Nvidia Display Drivers
    | | Nvidia Ethernet Components.

Alternatively, I could go into Device Manager and do it that way, but that has a checkbox whether I should:
    | | Delete the driver software for this device

So I really have no idea which route I should take here or what options to select. I don't want to bork up my computer but at the same time I'd like my new card running nicely. If someone could help I'd be incredibly grateful, I've read several guides but they've not helped me totally.

2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    KKSlider1337 says thanks.
  3. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Before you take out your 8800GTS you need to uninstall the Nvidia Display drivers. Then download this. Its a driver sweeper and it will clean out old driver particles left behind. Empty recycle bin. And shutdown your computer.

Unplug your power cord to your PSU. Get static free and remove your 8800GTS. Install your 4850. Make sure you plug in the necessary power cords to your cards Should just be 1 6-pin power cord. Then plug back in your power cord to your power supply, and power up your computer. When your at your desktop, download the Cat 9.1 Drivers for you card. You might have to restart, but if you do then do it and your good to go!

4. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    Thankyou for the replies. Should I go the control panel route then and uninstall JUST the display drivers and ignore the ethernet one, could that be something related to my motherboard that I shouldn't touch?

5. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    Just to add, I might not use driver sweeper unless I encounter any problems with the ATI card in, because I don't want it accidentally deleting anything motherboard related, I've heard this can be a problem if you have an NForce.

6. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Ok, yes, you can go to the control panel and only uninstall the drivers for the display, not the ethernet.

7. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the help, it's all installed and running great so far - tried Fallout3, Crysis Warhead and Assassins Creed, and it's running them all lovely and at better settings and smoother than before, particularly in Fallout 3 (I think the 320mb VRAM was a real killer there.)

Just one problem, when I fitted it I couldn't actually screw it in properly, the holes no longer lined up with my case like the old card did. So it's just connected in by the slot, the DVI/VGA lead and power connector. Can anyone think of any problems this may cause or a solution to it? Thankyou - it seems reasonably secure but I want to be safe.

8. Pete1burn

Pete1burn

Thanks Received:
    I would try to get a screw in there. Lay the case down flat and try to manipulate the card to the point where you can fit it in. Over time the card can vibrate loose, and trust me, you don't want the card falling out of the slot with the machine on.

9. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    Hmm I see, thanks for the warning. Unfortunately the holes do not match in the slightest, in fact the new card strangely barely even has a hole :S I wonder if I could think of some more crude (but safe) way of attaching it...

10. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Could you please take a photo so I can get a visual?

11. Pete1burn

Pete1burn

Thanks Received:
    Yeah a photo would definitely help. It doesn't make sense that the mounting hole wouldn't match up with the case. Not saying you're wrong, just would be interested in seeing it.