1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

help with mac video card

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by cganesh75, Dec 18, 2009.

1. cganesh75

Thanks Received:
    i acquired a few HD3650 cards. they were given to me saying that they are mac cards.. i do not have any mac computers all i have here are PCs... i installed the cards to see if i get any video.. nothing. fans spin and nothing happens. i figured i would have to flash the cards to pc bios.. how do i do it without even a boot video? any idea how to flash a mac video card to pc?
  2. jjFarking

jjFarking New Member

Thanks Received:
    As far as I'm aware, unless the card is specifically the Mac Edition series, it *should* work OK in a normal PC.
    Are there any markings at all on the cards to denote they are specifically for the Mac?
    cganesh75 says thanks.
  3. cganesh75

Thanks Received:
    no specific markings that i can identify..
  4. jjFarking

jjFarking New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm presuming they're PCI-e, so you may want to try them one at a time & see if you can get a result that way..
  5. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Macs don't have a BIOS (they use EFI), so the VGA BIOS is probably much different from the PC version of the card.
    cganesh75 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I'm not totally clear on all this but since the advent of Intel Macs there aren't specifically Mac and PC versions anymore but there are definitely differences still which may or may not be related to EFI vs BIOS. My Mac Pro at work has an 8800GT. It looks just like any other Nvidia reference model and it works just fine in my PC at home (in fact use for PhysX sometimes). However, any old "PC" PCI-e card will not work in the Mac. I tried with a 3650 I bought from Newegg coincidentally enough and got no video. So if these 3650s are really from Mac Pros my (admittedly limited) experience tells me they should work fine in your PC.
    cganesh75 says thanks.