1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with Oblivion - Performance Issues

Discussion in 'Games' started by LifeOnMars, Feb 19, 2009.

1. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't get this game running smooth for the life of me. Installed the latest patch, followed Koroush's tweak guide and still stutters like a *&@k. Any help would be greatly appreciated as its my first time with this game and it looks fantastic so i want to enjoy it as much as possible. I get reasonable framerates 40+ outdoors but its just stuttering all the time :( I'm on Vista 32 bit by the way.

2. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bump. So I'm home from work now and looking to get this sorted for a nice evening of gaming. Any help please :)

3. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    wow, wierd, a 9800GT should be able to eat it for breakfast. Make sure you dont have any AA/AF forced out of the game.
    16xAA/16xAF make it where even doom 3 has a hard time running on my 9800GX2 @ 1600x1200 (doom3 doesnt have widescreen options)

LifeOnMars says thanks.
  4. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, but it seems I'm not the only one who has had issues. So may others all over the web with decent framerates but permanent,game disruptive stutters...both ati and nvidia. Just want to isolate what it is so i can sort it. Its not AA/AF being forced either unfortunately but thanks for the suggestion.

5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Hows it do in none grassy area's ?. Which is what makes it so demanding game, it is possible to edit the game so the grass was more spread out but less dence. The other way ( how the game does it ) is you can see grass so many meters in front of you.

Here's the guide i used and it worked real well for me.
    http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

A issue i had when using a tweaked oblivion.ini was when i put the CD in and ran the game from the CD auto start it would set it all back to default which is annoying unless you turn of CD\DVD auto run.

LifeOnMars says thanks.
  6. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    :) Its the guide I used to tweak the ini. But seriously, I have seen this game owned by my brothers X2 4800+ and 8800gts 320mb on max settings so my rig should be able to run without these game shattering stutters....its driving me insane:(

7. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    to tell you the truth, he shouldnt have to tweak it at all with his GPU, he should be able to run it 1920x1200 maxxxed out, i was able to with my 8800GTS g92. (same card, just pumped up a bit)

8. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    make sure you dont have any backround applications accesing your files via....anti virus, anti spyware..indexing can sometimes do it

9. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Oblivion is extremely buggy anyway.

10. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    its due to hard drive caching and LOD changes... I used to have the same problems. Turn on Vsync.

11. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    its the amount of ram he has.

phanbuey and spearman914 say thanks.
  12. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can't believe no one bought that up. :D 512MB 1920 x 1200 w/ AA = time for a new card.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  13. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    that and he's using 2GB of value ram at probably crappy timings. and no one has bothered to ask how many services he has running in the background. that game SHOULD run fine but your not going to get anyware until you give it some room to breathe

spearman914 says thanks.
  14. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    LOL he has a 17" that does 1280x something... he isnt playing at 1920 x 1200... that system can hangle oblivion at those settings.

ram will help for sure - the game will have to load less often from the HDD (i bet when it stutters, that you HDD access light blinks)... All those huge textures (and vista) make that 2gb of ram totally inadequate.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
  15. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well yes at my resolution it really shouldnt be a problem:laugh: As for stutters and hard drive access simultaneously...well.... no actually, sometimes yes but definetely not all the time at all. Also, just tried it on windows xp sp3 and had exactly the same results......could it be a conflict between my ati chipset mboard and the nvidia graphics card? Or the current nvidia drivers? I have seen this game run flawlessly with 2gb of memory, on vista, with an athlon chip and with a lesser powered card so i know this should handle it easily:mad: Incidentally I have started a thread in the storage section asking peoples best views on how I should set my hard drives up. Perhaps that is affecting the read performance too?

phanbuey says thanks.
  16. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried triple buffering and V-sync? I know its not "ideal" but if that gets rid of the stuttering then you can rule out chipset and memory and hdd... and focus on drivers and monitor settings etc. etc.

If Vsync does not stop the stuttering then we know its some other bottleneck.

17. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    You're problem is probably in that guide...

My system runs it great. It did get a little stutter in a few places but not enough for me to even remember where.

I attached a picture of the settings.

Attached Files:

phanbuey says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    are you serious? I run 1440x900 on 4xaa, large texters, everything to the max except grass which I just have shut off and shadows which I have shut off too. The only other thing is I don't use bloom effects (or HDR for that matter)

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've found the problem :) Unbelievably its my ps/2 keyboard!!!! Just installed GRID and started playing it with keyboard and although frame rates were nice, the sound was popping and it had continuous micro stutter.... Having tried a few different sets of nvidia drivers i just couldnt get rid of the problem, so resigned myself to it. Next time I started GRID I installed my usb controller and started playing, not a stutter in sight!!! So then I tried accelerating on the controller whilst pressing keys and the stutter comes back.

Anyways, just tried another game and it had the same effect, smooth on controller, same framerates but stutter with keyboard. This is excellent as I have found the source of my problems but what should I try now....a usb keyboard?

20. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Try updating the chipset driver. The PS/2 controller (aka Legacy Controller) is part of the chipset package (at least it should be). Did it start recently or was it always doing it since you got it?

Also, could you make the bad stutter happen while task manger is open in the background? See if CPU usage jumps way up when the stutter happens. That could point you directly at the bad driver.

LifeOnMars says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea how to go about this. I have looked at keyboard in device manager and it says drivers are up to date. Its a DELL standard PS2 keyboard that I've had years.

22. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    How long have you had the motherboard (or computer if the computer was purchased from an OEM)?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello mate, I think its a bios fault that means I cannot turn of usb keyboard setting and causes the conflict. Only thing is its an abit board and as we know, they are no longer in the game so basically im just going to get a usb keyboard and all is well in the world :) Discovering this has made such a world of difference in my gaming....no more stutter :)

24. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    hmmn i put the game into vsynch and low and behold my gtx260 destroys it LOL full everything i was wondering why it was so suckky just assumed it was my pcs fault

phanbuey says thanks.