1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with overclocking my q6600

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by jaxxxon, Nov 6, 2008.

1. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, I've been reading up a little bit on this forum and been buying PC magazines for a long time, but I know my limits, I really am new at this but I'd like to take the plunge into overclocking! I got the go stepping version as I heard this is the best. I don't want to overclock to 3.6Ghz and shorten the lifespan of it or worse damage it. First of all I'd just like to get it to 2.7Ghz as I'm waiting for an artic freezer pro and only using stock cooler atm, and temps seem a little high to push it too far, if at all.

It has overclock mode "auto" so can I just raise this to 300 and get my 2.7Ghz like that (9X FSB)? Or do I have to raise the CPU voltage a bit?

So heres a few pics of my BIOS, MOBO, Ram and temps under load. Mobo is cheap and possibly won't be able to do this, which is why I'm here. BIOS seems like it will let me, and has safeguards so I'm assuming it can.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So just a small step first I know, but I really don't want to damage anything, so I'd like your advice first. If you think I'm too new at this feel free to say so. I know it looks easy, but it also looks easy to damage everything. So please explain in laymans terms and don't assume I know any more than I've posted here, because if I do, it aint much ;)
  2. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Let me start asking what kinda cooler do you have on your cpu? Is it the stock Intel one or a after market cooler?
    jaxxxon says thanks.
  3. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's stock, as I said, but I'm waiting for artic freezer pro.
  4. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So you have stock which means u can get a maximum oc of about 200 - 400 MHz. First thing is to disable spread sprectrum. This feature underclocks multi and fsb when idle so disable it. And the BIOS pic you posted, is that the only setting you could change? Try pushing the FSB by 5-10 mhz increments. And i won't add any vcore on a stock cooler..
    jaxxxon says thanks.
  5. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok so just 200-400 on stock, if I went straight to 2.7Ghz that could damage it? or would the safeguard protect it? sorry bout noob questions.

Plus what temp increases am I likely to get at 2.7 and what is safe? I've read that over 70c is a no no.
  6. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Let me start asking what kinda cooler do you have on your cpu? Is it the stock Intel one or a after market cooler? Because your temps are pretty high atm.
    Try installing Realtemp and maybe you will see a difference.:)
    If you want to overclock to 2.7Ghz you could do it in steps of 0.2 at a time and in between test with Prime 95 like you already have.

At first you should keep your RAM at stock speeds so it won't interfere with the cpu oc.
    (If you up the bus speed your ram speed will automatically increase with it. So set a divider that comes closest to your stock speeds. If you have bad ram it CAN hold back your cpu oc.)
    Also keep your voltage at stock. Keep your multiplier at 9 and up your bus speed with small steps until you cant boot any more. Meanwhile closely watch your temps. If your pc won't boot up after this clear your cmos and boot up again.

Then go to the bios and up your voltage a step.
    Enter the last oc and try booting again. If you can bench and up the bus speed again do it untill you cant boot any more and repeat the first steps by increasing the voltage.

But like Spearman said i would wait with upping the voltage to high untill you have your new cooler.
    But i think you can come pretty far without upping the voltage.
  7. Moose

Moose New Member

Thanks Received:
    First raise it to 280 then 290 then 300, checking if it works in between. Lapping is good too when you get a new cooler.
  8. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Going to 2.7 GHz straight will damage ur cpu but at a very low change. To be on the safe Side increase fsb by 5-10 increments and set ur ram:fsb divider to 1:1

Stock
  9. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for help guys, couple of questions for tecknicks ;)

How do I reset CMOS if needed, and how far into overclocking would I need to up voltages (just so I know) :)

p.s. how do i change ram divider to 1:1?
  10. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Too lazy :)

For the second question it really depends on the batch. Better batch better oc. But on average you could get 3.2 GHz easy on the aftermarket cooler ur buying by upping a little Vcore.
  11. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    See now replies like that make me think why bother lol. I really don't want to get into flashing BIOS etc. I don't even have a floppy drive, and moving jumpers etc is way beyond my capability yet. I thought resetting CMOS was pressing a button, or removing battery and replacing it at worst lol.

Remember all I'm after is 2.7Ghz and with new cooler 3Ghz at most. I don't want to push it too far, but I just feel a processor like this WANTS to be overclocked lol ;)
  12. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Well i cant exactly tell you how much volt increase you need because some run al the way up to 3.0 or 3.2Ghz on 1.3 to 1.4 volts so that is why you have to try yourself and not enter something in the bios that someone else says.;)
    My Quad runs 3.6 24/7 on 1.4750v. I have benched it 4.0Ghz with1.55v on air. With load temps of 75C.
    But the motherboard could become a problem to if it cant handle the high FSB that comes when you try to oc higher.
    When i had a 4.0 oc i had a FSB speed of 1775. If you don't have a good mobo you won't get a high oc.

And indeed resetting your cmos is done by removing the battery for a minute or two.
    Sometimes like in my case it can be done by pressing a small button on the mobo.

Als for the ram divider there should be some options for the ram in our bios where you can set ram speeds.
    Also a 1.1 divider would not be good in your case because your ram speeds would increase when you up the cpu clock.
    Try keeping your ram around 800Mhz.

What ram do you have btw?
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  13. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do I set ram fsb divider to 1:1?
  14. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Are you on 2.7 now?
    Show a CPU Z screenie of the cpu and ram.
  15. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    No I'm, on 2.465 lol I'm too worried after these post to do anything more!! If I get to resetting CMOS stage I'm basically screwed after reading the post above, so i'm taking it very slow lol.

Temps have jumped 2 degrees now 56-57. U think I should wait for artic freezer before trying this? Whats a safe temp and how do I up volts if it refuses to boot? I justdont want to go too far lol.

And how to i set ram to 1:1 ??? please!
  16. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Why do you want the 1.1 divider because if you haven't touched the ram speeds in your bios then as far as i know you have a 1 on 1 ram fsb ratio.

Please show a CPU Z screenie..
  17. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok dram has jumped from 332.5 see pic above to 349 does that mean its low and 400 is top?

ratio in cpuz seems to be 4:5 is that good? or do i need to change that? again see pic above

also i'm up to 2.512Ghz 279 BUS temps are still below 60c running prime, more like 57-58c

[​IMG]
  18. kyle2020 Guest

Stock until the freezer arrives. On a Q6600 safe operating temps are approx. anything upto 90 ish, and voltage wise i wouldnt recommend higher than 1.45 for 24/7.

Overclock via your multi + FSB and adjust your ram multi as required. Just take your time and youll be fine :D
  19. kyle2020 Guest

Oh, and dont use prime 95, use OCCT to stress all 4 cores in a single program + recieve detailed charts on vdroop, temperature and other shizzle upon completion / crash.
  20. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok whats multi + ram multi? and how do i adjust that? want more pics of my bios? I think u guys think I know more than I do :)

p.s. quite a rush getting even this low OC. 2.5 is crap i know, but it's more than I paid for lol.
  21. kyle2020 Guest

i honestly cant see a ram multi - is there a seperate menu for you RAM settings? You multi is your cpu ratio in your bios menu in that screenshot. basically to get your clockspeed your FSB is multiplied by your multiplier . . . for example, my Q6600 is running at 9x multi and 400FSB = 3.6Ghz. See? ;)
  22. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    ill take a pic of a few menus in bios, tell me what u think ;)
  23. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  24. kyle2020 Guest

That DRAM Frequency option is your memory divider, it just gives you a list of frequencies rather than ratios :toast:
  25. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i seen that, but theres no 1:1 option that i've seen more about latency 5.5.5.15 how do i get that to 1:1 and do I need to? also my ram (which i suspect is cheap) running at 349 instead of 333 is that safe?

P.S. Guys uve got me to overclock to 2.513Ghz on stock cooling and my temps r fine, I know this is low but thank you. This is awesome for me lol :) First time I've EVER done this ;)