1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with possible malware on my dad's laptop

Discussion in 'General Software' started by 1Hellcat, Jul 13, 2013.

1. 1Hellcat

Thanks Received:
    Last night my dad told me he was having problems with his Windows 8 laptop. His Norton Internet Security wouldn't open from the desktop shortcut, and the start menu shortcut for it would sometimes take him to Netflix.com. He said this all started after he used the wifi at a local coffee shop.

I tried MalwareBytes and Avast, and both would hang while trying to update. In Safe mode, Norton worked, but found nothing, and I was able to run Avast's boot scan, but that also found nothing.

Since graduating I've become the family IT guy, but my experience is really lacking. Now I'm left looking to people who actually know what they're doing for help.
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Visit this link here and download one of the anti-malware bootable ISOs from one of the links under Anti-Malware Boot Discs, burn to disc and boot from it.

Also make sure you bookmark the link as the software there is always kept up to date. Id give the Kaspersky bootable a go first.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    First run rkill to terminate any malicious processes and reset exe's so they open themselves. You might have to rename it to iexplorer.exe or download iexplorer.exe.

Then try running and updating malwarebytes, and doing a full scan.

If you are still having issues after running malwarebytes run combofix. But only run combofix as a last resort, it can totally break Windows making it unbootable.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. 1Hellcat

Thanks Received:
    I was able to get Malwarebytes to update in safe mode with networking, but it didn't find anything. I'll give rkill a shot, as well as the kaspersky bootable mentioned above if necessary.

Also, I thought combofix doesn't work on Windows 8.
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    As of July 1stish it will run in Windows 8, but doing so is unsupported and can totaly F up Windows to the point of never getting it to boot again, which is why I said use it as a last resort. But then again there is the risk of totally breaking Windows with any version of Windows when using Combofix, but it is just more likely with 8.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Try uninstalling and re installing Norton? Ive seen Norton play up many times before. It might not even be a virus but just Norton been a bitch.
    Jetster says thanks.