1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with Radeon 9200 Se graphic card

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wrx264, May 25, 2005.

1. wrx264 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a pentium 4 2.8 and it has 512 ram. My graphic card is a radeon 9200 se and it has been giving me problems. When i Play a high graphics game, my computer freezes and gives me an ati error. i send the report but get no response. The error i get is that the graphic card has been reset to default. Why does my graphic card freeze. I also think something might overheat because in cool conditions when the room is cool the games work a lot longer. The games freeze after a while like 5-10 minutes. Halo works for about 60 seconds even in the menu. Please help.

2. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Could be heat problems...have you overclocked at all? Maybe try reinstalling the drivers, it should fix any software related problems.

-Dan

3. wrx264 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do not have anything overclocked and i have reinstalled all my drivers many times. By the way how much coolin does a p4 2.8 need. I have 1 fan, 1 system blower, one fan in the power supply, and a heatsink and fan on the cpu. The max i have seen my temps were at 54 degrees celcius.

4. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    What kind of heat can you feel coming off the card I mean, like is it really hot?

-Dan

5. watzup_ken New Member

Thanks Received:
    I doubt that a 9200SE will overheat since some 9200SEs are passively cooled. Your CPU temp looks pretty alright as well. Maybe you should use Driver Cleaner to make sure that all the previous driver installations are removed, and install a fresh copy of the latest driver. Sometimes, the remnents of the previous drivers can give you hell of a prob with your graphic card. :)

6. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    That could be a reason why it would over heat. Where its passive cooling. It was just a possiblity I was covering. But the drivers is what I am mainly thinking of.

-Dan

7. wrx264 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have just completely formatted my hard drive and installed a new windows and new drivers, but the computer still freezes up. I really think it is a heating issue because there is warm to somewhat hot air coming out of all the openings in my case. Also the whole case turns warm.

8. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Hows the air flow in your case...good air flow will do a lot for cooling. See if you can get a fan to move the air around your video card better. It should help.

-Dan

9. wrx264 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the air flow is not too well even though i added a system blower. Can you tell me what to put in to get better cooling other than water cooling.

10. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    What I have in my case is 2 intake fans and 2 exaust fans. So all the hot air gets pulled out and cool air is pulled in. Works great for me.

-Dan

11. ndgoh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm..... could it be a graphic card driver problem? Try installing the latest game patch (if any) and the latest VGA driver too...... :p

12. wrx264 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the latest drivers but i will try to get better cooling like you guys said. Thanks a lot everyone.

13. Sn4k3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try to turn off the "VPU Recover" in your driver settings

14. wrx264 New Member

Thanks Received:
    but if i turn off the vpu recover wouldn't the chip get messed up.

15. Hellraiser1981 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Turning off VPU recover won't mess up the chip. I always run without it on my 9800. This sounds like a heat issue, did you ever feel the heat sink on the card while it was running a game?
    Try turning off Fast-writes and sideband addressing in the bios, this can help with stability problems.
    54C is quite high for a cpu (mines a 2.8Ghz prescott, oc'd to 3.5 most of the time and stayed under 50C with a standard cooler. I mounted a better fan on the cooler and the temps stay under 40C under 100% load), are you sure the fans in the case are blowing the right way?
    the ones in front should blow into the case at the hard drives, and the rear fan should be blowing out hot air, if you have a side panel fan, it should blow cool air at the cpu.

16. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You could also try lowering your AGP speeds. This can help, at the loss of performance of course. Also the VPU recover being off doesn't damage your card - it just means that if your GPU fails, your PC will probably crash rather than the graphics card being restarted. Sounds like you could really use a new graphics card - 9200SEs really aren't too great..you could even try buying something like a 9550, overlock that to 9600 speeds and your gaming performance will increase dramatically. Worth considering, especially as the rest of your PC isn't too bad.

17. wrx264 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I turned my fans around and the temp at load is down to 44. but with vpu recover off the card stops responding after a longer time like 1/2 of an hour to 1 hour.

18. mikechinym

mikechinym New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have seen before that the ati 9200se freeze up during the game but my country is a hot country.i try whatever would like to do.finally, the customer asked us to change another card. this freeze up method had just been happend on that customer pc,another customer work fine. then like what we always said "the money is always right". then i change another one for him. i think it is the heat problem.

19. Alaron New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i live in missouri and it is hot here right now my bedroom temps are about 75f and my comp is a amd athlon xp2400 512ram msi mobo 350w psu ati radeon 9200 128mb and i have crashes also when i run games for too long i will recieve a vpu reset error and i will hafto restart but strangly it happens more often in warcraft3 than any other game doom3 farcry painkiller ect but anyway i put a small fan on the heatsink and it keeps it cool around 46c and this fan is crappy but sence the fins on the heatsink are close air flow is difficult so i had the fan float about 1cm off the heatsink using some weard skrews i found around the house and i still got problems not because of vpu heat but ram heat so i made some ramsinks off of my old nvidiagf 3 heatsink and presto it works fine and for any processor heat probs try getting a thermaltake extreame valcano 12 socket A.

and by the way 50c should not be enoughf to overheat the 9200 bec. mine was at 60 before i got problems

20. maksymilian New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey i had the same problem with my radeon 9200 SE funnily enough with a similar set up and same games. I also tried everything that was suggested in the precious posts . Eventually out of desperation i uninstalled windows xp service pack 2 and somehow that fixed my problem. I've tried reinstalling the service pack but the problem just returns and i have to uninstall again. I figure its a compatability issue with xp but i could be wrong. Now i'm having a problem gettin the 9200 to run battlefield 2.

I kno this is probably a dead issue but i'd be curious if my solution works for other people.

21. 65tweet

65tweet New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem in far cry with my 9200. I had to play with the video settings to get it to work stable. What it boils down to is the card is crappy and when it can't handle what you are doing any more it will up and quit on you. That's likely a good thing that keeps it from up and dieing on you. As BF 2 goes you're out of luck unless EA comes out with a major patch to fix it. You’re better off getting a new card. Being an SE it's the bottom of the bottom level. Sorry for the bad news but if you don't mind playing the lowest settings and the card stays stable then erything may work out.

22. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Latest drivers aren't going to help you with a 9200SE. Better off sticking to something around the 4.x to 6.x series of drivers. These cards were released with 3.8's Going too much further would be beyond the point that it's effective. If anything, I'd say find some OLDER drivers, and try again.

Or get a newer card.