1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with soldering on PCB

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by buildzoid, Apr 23, 2014.

1. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    So I've been trying to practice desoldering and soldering on a dead motherboard that I have and no matter what I do I can't get the solder on the board to melt. After doing a bunch of reading on google I tried again and failed the same as before the solder just wouldn't melt I could hold my pen there so long that the PCB the area was hot but the solder was still solid. So my question is what am I doing wrong since I've seen plenty of people succeed at removing capacitors and other components from PCBs but I can't even get the solder liquid.

2. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    what is the power of your iron.

3. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Actually, watt is the power of his iron.

FX-GMC says thanks.
  4. SKBARON

SKBARON

Thanks Received:
    Use quality flux, apply a little bit of solder to the tip of the iron and it should be ok, you should also try using a high thermal capacity tip.

buildzoid says thanks.
  5. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    you need a preheating owen :slap:, next thing... mix the existing onboard soldering iron with a Pb containing iron, it has a lower melting point!
    hakko_preheaters_FR830.jpg FR1012-01.jpg

6. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    you must construct additional pylons

(get a more powerful soldering iron)

SKBARON, a_ump and buildzoid say thanks.
  7. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    The iron is a 50W Conrad soldering station. And I would prefer that I have to buy the lowest amount of stuff.

8. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    OP, contrary to what some are saying, the most you'll need to do is invest $20 into another iron, assuming the 50W you have now isn't functioning properly. Otherwise, 50W is plenty to melt the solder on a motherboard. If the motherboard is dead and you have no interest in resurrecting it, I don't see why letting the tip rest on the solder for more than what you would expect would be an issue. I can't see where you'd be damaging the tip or iron by doing this.

You'll find a way to get the solder flowing, just don't hurt yourself in the process. Good luck.

buildzoid says thanks.
  9. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Apply fresh solder to the tip of the iron and hold onto the joint in question. It does unfortunately take a while to melt the solder, but it should be okay.

buildzoid says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Have we taken into consideration that motherboards are multi-trace, and that component may be connected at more than one level?

11. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    He is having a problem getting the solder to melt with the short time he is holding it on, use a old copper heatsink to protect the component by sinking heat away from it as the solder comes up to temperature if you are worried.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  12. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    The solder they use on mobos is some highly dense shit. It has a higher melting point the the traditional solder you get from like Radio Shack. The preheating oven is the best solution.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a link to one that's cheap?

14. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    Its been said twice and i'll say it too, add solder to the tip of the iorn then heat the point, if its still not melting within 5 seconds of contact try adding solder to the join as if there were none there to begin with, doing this will in most cases instantly liquify the joint but also creates more mess to clean up. if you do it that way you'll want to invest in a desoldering pump and not a wick