1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with Sound Card stuff

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Marineborn, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    alright i got bored and wanted to play some games on my home theatre i have a jvs thd60 and a creative fatality xfi sound card that has a digital out and my reciever has a digital in video 2 receieve port, now for the life of me i cant make my sound card play threw my home theatre ive tried new drivers, messing with every setting in the book, am i missing something here guys, any help would be appreciated

2. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    do i have to plug my home theatre into my computer vid usb cord along with the optical cord..*sigh*

3. majestic12

majestic12

Thanks Received:
    You should only have to use the optical cable to get sound to your receiver. No other cables are necessary when hooking up to a receiver for audio purposes. If you haven't done so already, you may have to enable the digital output on the console:
    Entertainment Mode: Click the Digital I/O icon, then on the next screen, click “Digital I/O”.
    Audio Creation Mode: Click the Settings button, then under Digital I/O click “Digital I/O”.
    Game Mode: Click the Settings button, then under Digital I/O click “Digital I/O”.

Is the OPTICAL IN a programmable input on the receiver?

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    are you sure you're playing audio out the right device?

[​IMG]

5. valtopps

valtopps

Thanks Received:
  6. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    alright here we go, when i had it connected i have the optical coming out of the back of the fatality xfi out of the optical out and going into the back of my receiver on my th60 jav surround sound system, no i had put spdif as the default thing cause i thought that was the optical out unless there isnt a choice i need up there, when i was looking around all the controls after getting frusturated under one of the things it said invalid signal like it couldnt find the reciever and i looked over the controls for the receiver and i dont think theres a way to make it turn it on..its just a video 2 input in the back of the receiver for the output, and yes i know i had to turn on stero out and all that good jazz, these pictures are taking this morning after i gave up on this after working on it for 2 hrs. i even tried installing new drivers 2 times directly from the soundblaster website, is there something im missing, m aybe my receiever cant support it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    invalid signal means you're sending something it cant process. say, sending dolby DTS to a receiver that only does dolby digital.

your sound page shows you arent using your digital port, but your analogue output.

that software page you posted is INput, not output btw- for recording.

8. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    im not following mussels, so do youknow something i dont, it doesnt give me the option for optical out, unless the port is burnt out and isnt reading when i plug it in, but it lights up the optical card when i plug it in. hmmmmmmm

9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    SPDIF out

10. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey mussels, does the sound cards need power i just have it plugged into the pcie slow, but theres plugs on the back of it, does that have anything to do with it?

11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    not a clue with those fancy shmancy creative cards, sorry.

sound card in.
    SPDIF as output.
    Output mode selected that receiver is compatible with (PCM, DD, DTS etc)
    speakers on
    magic happens.

12. majestic12

majestic12

Thanks Received:
    Which version of the x-fi card do you have? The pcie slot is all that is necessary to power it.

13. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have the creative fatality, fricking annoying, i tested something just for the hell of it and plugged it into my motherboard sound optical out, and it works......and the sound card doesnt, hen i try to test the tone on the sound card it test failed to test tone....*smacks lips* the motherboard sound is good but i would really love to use the sound card i play money for.

14. majestic12

majestic12

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps you might want to disable your onboard sound in the BIOS and remove the drivers for it -maybe there's a conflict because of the two sets of drivers..?

15. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah it was disabled majestic, ive just given up for now, its working on my onboard, i appreciate all the help guys but i dont plan to waste anymore time on this unless i get bored. its caused more trouble then its worth

16. valtopps

valtopps

Thanks Received:
    088.jpg very easily done click on spdif then click on set as default

17. nikkimarie83 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a problem and I am hoping that maybe someone can help me. I recently upgraded my operating system to windows xp home and now i can not get the sound to work for nothing. in my device drivers everything is working except multimedia audio controller. i have no idea what i need to install or how to get it.. can somebody plz help me?