1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with virus removal?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by karolpl2004, Mar 21, 2013.

1. karolpl2004

karolpl2004

Thanks Received:
    Ok, well my computer was running choppy so I looked in task manager what is wrong.. I have 400 running processes. Over a hundred of them are called conhost.exe, about 10 fah.exe, and another over a hundred of ftp.exe. Any idea what it could be? I used a couple programs like spybot to look for viruses but nothing..

2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    conhost.exe will open with some programs automatically, i think it helps the program work with windows, could be horribly wrong, but yes over 100 is odd, fah.exe i would think has to do with Folding@home, but if youre not running that, its odd. ftp.exe might be the bad program cause every ftp client or server i've run never used just ftp.exe. spybot is more for browser hacks and adware from web browsers. 2 good programs to try are combofix and malwarebytes anti-malware

3. karolpl2004

karolpl2004

Thanks Received:
    tried those too nothing helped. i installed process explorer. found out that folding@home bs (which i never recall installing) is somehow linked with ftp and conhost. seems like the problem is solved.. for now.

4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Format! It the only way to be sure

sttubs says thanks.
  5. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    lol i remember the time I had driver issues where I lost some files or something. took me 5 days trying to fix it to no end, lots of people here at tpu were trying to help too but a simple format which took me less than 2 min fixed it. if you got no way just format that slut ^_^

6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    if you have internet connection you could try online virus scanner, just google it and check

7. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    tdss killer and malwarebytes.

8. Jimmy6

Jimmy6

Thanks Received:
    If you will need malwarebytes and combofix regular virus programs can't even see rootkits, you have to use malwarebytes in safe mode and even sometimes you have to rename the mbam.exe file because rootkits are programmed to recognize it and disable it