1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help!!

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by stinger608, Nov 22, 2012.

1. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Okay, didn't really mean to alarm anyone with the title......:laugh:

None the less, here is the serious issue I am confronted with.

First I want to say Happy Thanksgiving to all the US crunchers. :toast:

Now recently I was diagnosed with a very rare skin condition. It is called Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris or PRP. It is claimed that only 2.5 in 1 million get this crap. What it does is kills the outer layers of skin after blistering for a few days. It is like having 3 degree sunburn all over a person's body. :banghead: Hands and feet swell up badly.

Now, with the above said, I am not going to be able to continue with my current machinist job. Hell, the tips of my fingers are pretty much f'd up and really can't grip things correctly.

I have an appointment with SSI tomorrow to file for temporary disability for around a year. This condition can last up to about 3 years.

Needless to say, SSI is not even going to equal 1/2 of my wages!

What I am needing help with is some ideas on supplemental income. Something that I can do at home; for example remote tech support, writing, or any thing all of you can think of. If you have an idea I would sure appreciate it!!! Even better if you have links and what not.

Thanks in advance,
    Dano
    NHKS, dude12564, Mindweaver and 12 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Dammit, I honestly have no words to say. My thoughts and prayers are with you mate..
    [[hugs]]
    stinger608 says thanks.
  3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry to hear about your conditions, stinger, and prayers are up for you.
    Apply for a job at NextPowerUp! :)
    stinger608 says thanks.
  4. stinger608

Thanks Received:

Thanks for the kind words and prayers!!! :respect:

I am actually working on the article to submit for a writing position at NextPowerUp!
  5. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear that. I have mild exema on parts of my hands and I think that's bad enough sometimes - I can't imagine going through what you are now.

If you have no troubles typing (or have Dragon) and can take pics, a review job will get you some hardware which you can resell. Talk to Tyler, Chad or Drew - they may either be able to hook you up or pass along some names for other sites.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'm really sorry to hear about that :cry:

Can you still type fine? If so, are there office jobs in WY that you could look into?
    stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Also, think positive ! You are about to be eligible for a custom title. :D
    stinger608 says thanks.
  8. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    That is actually a great idea Ski!!

:laugh: maybe, however the way I look I don't think I would want to go for an interview. I pretty much look like I am turning into a frigging lizard. :laugh:

:D Ha, I seen that man. Didn't even realize it until you mentioned it. :toast:
  9. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Actor in SyFy channel movies? lol

There are lots of opportunities to work from home. I'll be happy to help you looks if you want.
    jasper1605 says thanks.
  10. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    :roll: There ya go, I could do some acting. Hell I probably wouldn't be any worse than some the ones they hire of SyFy. :roll:

I just don't have a good clue where to look man. All I usually come up with when searching is a bunch of BS sites. "Write for us, we offer $0.85 per 500 word article." :eek: Okay, you would have to write 10,000 words per hour just to make a somewhat decent hourly wage. :laugh:
  11. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Really sorry to hear about your condition stinger:(
    stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    Thank you Stinger for sharing this. I'm not american cruncher, how can i help you?
    The proposal, not a question. PM me please.
    jgunning, mjkmike, [Ion] and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I do online surveys for a cpl $ each survey. I can give you links to legit sites that pay in cheques or paypal. Average survey is $2-3 and can go up to 50 or more.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Hammer!!!!!

Will be PM'ing in just a bit my friend! :rockout:

Yes please Alien!! :respect:
  15. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear about this bro. Reviews might just be up your ally. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Disability? I've been in your situation and disability (social security) helped me out.
    stinger608 says thanks.
  17. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Let's hope it doesn't last anywhere near as long as they said.

If you want a suggestion: market research sector. A lot of the jobs in that business area can be done remotely and the jobs range from customer service calls all the way up to senior management level, with money tied to experience and progress.

Alternatively if social security can help you out.. take up a course or something that can help change paths later. That I guess is more dependent on your interests.. but it's never a bad thing to use time off work to prepare something bigger :)
    [Ion] and stinger608 say thanks.
  18. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked with youre curent employer if there is some work you could do for them. All shops need all kinds of pencil pushers.

Take care and PM me if you need anything.
    stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Don't know you, but I wish you all the best, and I hope that you get well asap.
    stinger608 says thanks.
  20. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Erocker. I actually have an appointment tomorrow with Social Security to file for temporary disability. The biggest issue is that it would only amount to under half of what I take home......:banghead:

Yep, I have been in college (online) for almost 4 years now. I currently have my Associates in web development/design and will have my BA mid to late next month. Also currently attending Harvard as well. Naturally most companies want at least a BA for web development or design.

Thanks Mike!!!!!! Your such an awesome bro man.

I am going to have a pow wow with the company president on Monday morning regarding this exact thing. As it stands now, I do all of the IT work for the company. I recently built three new systems for the business as well. Of course there really isn't enough IT work to be a full time placement.

I am, however, going to discuss with the president some ideas regarding job attached lay off. If he would do that, since I cannot perform my job duties, I may even be able to file and draw unemployment. That of course would be a much better income than SSI.

According to my Dermatologist, the medications should actually put this crap in "remission." However it can, and usually will, flare back up over the next 3 or so years.

I do want to thank everyone for all the kind words, wishes, and prayers. Sorry I have not responded in a few hours, but after pigging out on some awesome Turkey, I took a hell of a nap. :laugh: Sleeping has been a real issue the last 4 days. It is virtually impossible to get comfortable with PRP. As I stated in the original post, it is very much like having 3rd degree sunburn, so everyone can just imagine how hard it is to get relaxed and comfortable at night. :shadedshu
    jgunning, mjkmike and [Ion] say thanks.
  21. F150_Raptor

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry to hear about your luck. You might also want to contact you department of labor on this also. There might be laws that protect you and your employer has to follow them which can work in your favor.
    stinger608 says thanks.
  22. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Update

Well the paper work is in the works with Social Security............For what that is worth. :wtf: They claim it can take up to 6 months!!! :banghead: I sure don't have that long.

It is official, it has attacked my feet and ankles now. :cry: The wife went to Walgreens and rented a wheel chair. My feet are swollen almost 3 times the size as well as my calves and ankles. The bottoms of my feet are bad! I can stand on them but just for a few seconds as it is a horrible pain while standing.

I am hoping that the company president will allow me a job attached lay off tomorrow. This will at least allow me to collect unemployment for the time needed to recover. From what the doctor stated, it will usually go into remission within 4 to 6 months taking the synthetic vitamin A and steroids. So I should be able to go back to work within 6 months. I just hope they do not completely replace me within that time frame.
    jgunning, mjkmike and [Ion] say thanks.
  23. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'm not exactly prone to emotions, but reading this just brought tears to my eyes :cry:
    I'm terribly sorry to hear about the update. It sounds like basically the worst scenario possible :cry:
    mjkmike and stinger608 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Thanks [Ion]!!! The good news is it does go away, eventually. After the virus goes into remission, it can, and usually does, flare back up once or twice over the 3 year period. Luckily I will have the medication to start taking once the flare up starts and will go back away within a week or so. I am just sick of the pain already. :shadedshu Can't hardly sleep at night due to not being able to get comfortable in bed.
    corehazard, [Ion] and mjkmike say thanks.
  25. corehazard New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry to hear about your condition Stinger. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Hope you fully recover soon.
    :cry:

It maybe a good idea to try to find work as a freelance web developer and or designer; pay and demand being high you can't go wrong.
    stinger608 says thanks.