1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Helping a friend design/build his new PC

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by dark2099, Mar 18, 2013.

1. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    So a friend/customer from work is in the market for a new PC and asked me to help him decide on parts since he is quite out of the loop on current tech. I can probably spec something out pretty well, but considering that he does a few things I don't a 2nd opinion would be great. The basic use for this PC will Office based applications, with some sound, picture, and video editing. The video editing isn't super intensive, as a police officer he when necessary will use Pinacle video software to enhance video quality, so I'm guess more than a iGPU on a chip probably is needed, also to meet his out put requests. Max budget is $600 USD, all parts need to be new. Since he does not upgrade often, I'd like to try and get him a 80+ Silver PSU if possible. Thanks!

Basic Requirements
    Code:
    AMD chip
    8GB Ram
    1TB Seagate HDD
    Dual layer DVD burner
    500w PSU
    Video out put needs to have SVGA and at least 1 HDMI, 2 preferred, and if possible HDMI in

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    HDMI In is going to require a separate capture card, and last I checked they are pretty expensive. So I'd forget about that on a $600 budget.

An AMD APU rig would probably fill every need he has, and the iGPU should be able to accelerate Pinnacle without a problem. Though with the budget it might be better to go with an AM3+ rig with a discrete card, that would allow him to use a 6-core or even 8-core CPU, while the APU rig would be limitted to a 4-Core.

I'll throw what I would build together and update this post. Is the $600 budget the actual budget for parts, or are you taking some out of that for building it for him? Does he need keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS?

Edit: Once You Know, You Newegg

That is what I came up with.

You can use the DVI to HDMI adapter to get your second HDMI port, however it will only carry a video signal AFAIK, so no sound using that port/adapter. The native HDMI port on the motherboard will carry sound and video signals though.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    dark2099 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
  4. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys, was mostly curious about weather an iGPU would be strong enough for the video editing.

5. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    The video card I recommended with that build supports hybrid crossfire with the APU. The APU itself should be enough for light video editing. Adding the hybrid GPU should give it a nice amount of editing strength.

6. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    just pop in a Radeon 7750 or nvidia GT 640/650 and you're set for light photo editing.