1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Here is why I buy all of my stuff at Newegg!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Paulieg, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I do NOT work for Newegg. I just want to give an example of why I rarely buy anywhere else. This was an online chat with a newegg rep. Oh, and I just bought OCZ Platinum Rev.2 DDR800 to replace the bad sticks. Hope I have better luck.

Thank you for contacting Newegg. My name is Tyrone. How may I assist you today?
    Tyrone: Hi! Thanks for contacting us. How can I help you today?
    Paul Gow: Hello
    Paul Gow: I just completed an RMA for memory I recently purchased.This set of memory will not work correctly with my computer. Both sticks fail memtest at stock speeds when tested individually. I am going to order a different set of memory. I have been a loyal customer, purchasing nearly all of my computer parts from you, and I have never RMA'd anything. I would really appreciate it if you would give me a one time courtesy, and wave the restocking fee due to my loyalty, and that I am ording another set of memory from you to replace this one. I'm hoping this is possible.
    Paul Gow: My RMA # is .........
    Tyrone: Okay restocking fee removed.
    Tyrone: I waived the restocking fee.
    Paul Gow: thank you
    Tyrone: Anything else I can help with today?
    Tyrone: Your welcome.
    Paul Gow: You guys are great.
    Paul Gow: Nope. Thats it. I ordered a set of OCZ's that I hope to have better luck with
    Tyrone: Okay, hopefully things work out well this time.
    Paul Gow: Have a great night.
    Tyrone: You too.
    Tyrone: Thanks so much once again for shopping with Newegg.
  2. anticlutch

anticlutch New Member

Thanks Received:
    ... maybe I should try your strategy as well. Both times I tried to contact them they made me pay the restocking fee :(
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    All you have to do is tell them it's defective... for one video card, they even credited me the return shipping. They are extremely good, but you have to know what to say. My first experience with them, I was about to buy an Abit IC7-G motherboard. I waited a day, then sale was over... I called and they gave me the sale price. The woman I talked probably realised I was a cheap bastard and gave in :)
  4. anticlutch

anticlutch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hm.. do you think they'll accept my 8800GTS? It's only been about a week since I've bought it...
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Call them to get an RMA, tell them what is wrong with it... over the phone thier eyes gloss over, you can sense it :). Ask them if there is any restocking fee. If they say yes, ask them why a fee if it's defective.
  6. anticlutch

anticlutch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Won't they test it there though?
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    No... in my experience, they just make sure all the goods are returned in open box condition.

Here's a seemingly nefarious tactic - tell them the drivers are faulty and that it won't let you do something (like play a game). That was actually the case in one item I returned.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  8. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol sounds good. Sorry if I seem like a noob but wat is restocking fee? lol, I'v never had to RMA something and never bought something from Negegg(coz I live in Australia)
  9. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Newegg is great. Customer service is good if you are kind and polite. RMAs are swift and acceptable. Bought my rig components from them, really good.
  10. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    can't wait they come to europe :)
  11. Sky New Member

Thanks Received:
    i used online chat once. they're so polite, makes me wonder if i was chatting to an advance AI lol. the support said "have an Eggcellent day" when we were done lol
  12. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL!!!
  13. vivalv1000

vivalv1000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have had good luck with them as well. :) All of my shipments arrive very quick (1-2 days).:cool: Once I ordered a PC case and the front fan control knob didn't work correctly. Instead of shipping the entire case back I asked that they just send me the knob off of another unit, they did and it worked. This saved me a lot of trouble. Needless to say I seldom buy elsewhere, only if they don't have it in stock, which isn't too often. Egg On! :respect:
  14. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Once I bought a monitor from eBay and it was a bit dark so I asked for a replacment and they just sent me a hole new monitor and the monitor that was a bit dark is easily usable so I put it on a P4 2ghz.
  15. Eric3988

Eric3988 New Member

Thanks Received:
    They are best I have ever ordered from. In my experiences the shipping hasn't been as swift, but everything I have ordered has worked without a hitch. Except when some morons at compusa fried out my video card. Luckily, I got my card RMA'd and they took care of it for free.
  16. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I love Newegg. I've gone through tigerdirect.com and zipzoomfly.com and neither of them match up imo.
  17. Eric_Cartman

Eric_Cartman

Thanks Received:
    this is true, i have even heard stories about peoeple ordering high end processors like core 2 duos and when they recieve them claiming they were defective and putting a crappy processor like a celeron d in the box and returning it for a new one, giving them 2 core 2 duos for the price of one and a crappy celeron d
  18. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish retailers would be like that here in Finland. :\

I once RMA'd a vid card with the largest finnish retailer. They bounced it back due to physical damage: one surface mounted component was missing. Had to pay them 30€ ($40) penalty for invalid RMA.
    The funny part is that I'm 100% certain there was no such damage until the card was in their posession. Yes, you read it right: the retailer damaged the card... I naturally couldn't prove it. Hunted down a replacement part (130µF ceramic cap) and soldered it myself. Looks good as new, alas nothing changed: the original fault was still there.
    That pretty much proves the retailer damaged my card and ripped me off by forcing me pay a penalty for invalid RMA.

I'm done dealing with local retailers and paying upto 20-30% higher prices compared to foreign etailers. Been buying my computer parts from germany/uk for sometime already.

Another strange thing is RMA's take weeks to process here. It seems customer is always the least of all priorities here...