1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Heres a question for you gaming guru's

Discussion in 'Games' started by csallis, Aug 16, 2007.

1. csallis New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I play cs:source I get a ping of 25 - 40 on this particular server, my pc is wired to the router, my girlfriends pc is wireless to the same router and playing on the same server she always gets a ping of 7 - 12

I know my ping isn't bad but this is really bugging me now how she can get a ping that low on a dodgy wireless connection but my pc doesn't, I have checked for loss and choke in game and majority of the time they are both 0 but the odd time it hits 1 on choke for a couple of seconds.

Anyone have any ideas?
  2. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    That is strange :confused:

Does this happen when you both play at the same time on this server, or seperately?
  3. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Are they the same distance away from the router? Same signal strength? Same wireless throughput?
  4. bassmasta Guest

do you use an anti-virus? that adds like 10 ping. also, don't worry about it. i've had css days where my ping floated at 1-7, and days where it floated around 40-50
  5. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    her hardware is better
  6. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think the server must be a true gentlemen
  7. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    :roll:
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The router is giving her computer priority over yours?
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Thats what I was thinking ;)
  10. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Being CPU bottlenecked will raise your ping by quite a bit. I see you are running a 3500+ which should be enough for source depending on your videocard and video settings. Open up task manager, then play a couple minutes of source. Look at the cpu usage graph after you game and see if it was pegged at 100%. Then overclock and see if 1 your fps increase and 2 if your ping drops.
  11. csallis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys

Really sorry I haven't been getting emails telling me there has been updates to this thread so I will try and answer everyones querys.

Same thing happens when we are on together or by ourselves she always gets the low ping I get my high one.

My PC is sat right next to the router upstairs and hers is downstairs.

My hardware is the lan port on my P965-DS3 board, hers is a Asus wireless pci card.

Its def not a cpu bottleneck, her machine is a sempron 3300+ I believe, mine is core 2 duo e6300 clocked at 3.2ghz.

I am not sure how to tell if the router is giving her priority and how to change it, I am using a Netgear DG834G router if that helps anyone?

Many thanks
  12. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Try wiring hers and shutting off her radio connection - see what the result is. It could be the wireless is getting priority, as weird as it sounds.
  13. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    CSS? ping has sod all to do with it until you get up to 100+ ping. CSS is far too dependant upon your rates for ping to matter. Which is why you'll find a lot of servers force certain rates to keep everyone equal.

Sometimes I've had pings of 5-10 and lagged like crap, other times I've had pings of 50 and been perfectly fine. Don't put all your faith in ping. It's always wrong.
  14. Metal-Head New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure CS:S shows latency, not ping. Yes there is a difference. :)
  15. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    What's your choke/loss?
  16. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same here, but doesn't really matter in this thread, it's all the same principal. The higher the latency/ping the slower your signal is getting to the server. Oh and @csallis, why do you want to make your g/f's ping lower? If anything wouldn't you want hers to be higher ;). But if you really must find out, I have to say, maybe it's the router giving wireless priority because of how weird wireless can behave.
  17. csallis New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't want to make hers lower I want to make mine lower. Thanks for all your inputs, your probably right about the router giving the wireless pc's priority though it does suck as a wired connection is much more reliable.

I did take a screenshot of us both on the same server last night at the same time and my ping was about 15 higher than hers but then I turned the PC off without pasting the screenshot somewhere :banghead:
  18. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check your rates...
  19. csallis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Both are at default rates at the moment. I usually tweak mine and run 20000 75 75 but I thought after the reformat I would leave them as default to match hers and see if it was that.
  20. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Theres no problem with your latency, unless your getting massive spikes I wouldnt worry.
  21. csallis New Member

Thanks Received:
    I aren't getting any massive spikes its just irritating to be honest.
  22. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    she's a witch
  23. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you got it in one....many (but certainly not all) wireless routers give the wireless connection priority over the hardwired connection, purely because many people/organisations just hard wire into a sleeping PC, remember you do not need to have that "sleeping" PC even turned on to use the wireless connection (unless you have multiple hubs or want configuration) so it makes sense in many cases to give wireless the priority, it's exactly the same for me at home, really pisses me off when my 15 year old daughter is downloading music on the wireless and I am reduced to global lag in CSS.