1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Here's my next gaming rig, what do you think?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Shamonto Hasan Easha, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    Here's my next PC specifications. This list is always up-to-date. If any change is needed, I'll update is as necessery.

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA

CPU: Intel Core-i7 4770K

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Quad channel 16 GB, Red

GPU: Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC/GIGABYTE WINDFORCE 3X OC R9 290X

Case: CM Storm Trooper/Thermaltake Armor Revo/Thermaltake Chaser

PSU: CM V1000/CM SILENPRO 1000W GOLD

Cooler: CM Nepton 280L

Storage: WD 500 GB Cavier Black (WD5003AZEX) HDD and Corsair Neutron GTX 128 GB

ODD: ASUS DRW...(I forgot the model no., it's a green ODD)

Keyboard: CM Storm Devastator Combo/CM Storm QuickFire Pro/Razer/Thermaltake eSPORTS POSEIDON-Z

Mouse: CM Storm Devastator Combo/CM XORNET/CM REAPER

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE/ASUS ROG PG248Q

Fans: CM Jetflo x4

The items in "/" are choices. You can suggest beyond these choices also. Some models are left out because I forgot them.

2. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    First impressions: Nice build! :)
    I have a few opinions, hope you don't mind me sharing...

1) If you're not going to be heavily over clocking, get a cheaper mobo. If you're going to be going for a mild OC, you can still get a lesser mobo, but you'll need to throw in a good cpu cooler (this is important, 4770k's run hot!)

2) if only gaming, yo can drop to 8GB of ram. (But quad channel only benefits x79 platforms)

3) If no plans to add another 290x, you can lower the PSU wattage

4) I'd go with a bigger sad and/or hdd, but that is just me. Again if only gaming, it should fine.

Just opinions but overall you have a nice build. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    Besides gaming, I have more other heavy things to do. And about that PSU, I found this watt as a recommendation from hardware secrets in a tutorial titled 'Everything you need to know about Power Supply Units'. And yes, I think I'll be going for a CFX in future since the reds and the greens going to make better high performance GPUs (I already heard about GTX 790 coming to be better than present cards).

This motherboard is just for now, for completing the list. In fact, Inshaallah, I'll be getting my rig after Q1 of 2015. So my goal is Z97. And so, I'll be going for DDRIV RAMs.

4. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like you're all set then :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    I have few confusion, though. First one is, which one is a better PSU, is it the V1000 or the SilenPro 1050W GOLD, regardless of the output power? The second one is, do I need a mechanical keyboard or am I good to go with CM Storm Devastator Combo? You should also know, I want a very durable build. So, please, suggest something.

6. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    V1000 is a much newer and better platform that the SilentPro

7. MustSeeMelons

Thanks Received:
    You are planning your build a year in the future, or did you mean Q1 2014?
    Overall, looks nice :p

8. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    Does that means V1000 is better? Could you please give me technical comparison or links of this? It would make me feel resolute.

9. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    No, I do mean Q1 2015.

10. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  11. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    No, I do mean Q1 2015.

12. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    No, I do mean Q1 2015.

13. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    If you are not planning on buying for another year, why are you putting up a thread about this. Everything will be different a year from now as there will be all kinds of new products available. Nothing we recommend now will be relevant a year from now.

RCoon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    I think he just wants to make a list of shiny high end hardware.

BarbaricSoul says thanks.
  15. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for letting me suggest.

Heres my suggestion: Don't do quad channel ram with a dual channel cpu. Don't waste forum time with threads if you aren't building it for a year, motherboards will be totally different in a year, power supplies discontinue every year or so, video cards change availability.

16. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    RCoon says thanks.
  17. MustSeeMelons

Thanks Received:
    Seems that you are over-hyped about a new PC already. Start thinking about the parts 2-3 months before you are going to purchase, you'll have enough time to check the possibilities.

18. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    I am wanting to know these today because I still feel myself novice, though I know most of the things. Therefore, I am gaining few relevant knowledge about these, and learning everyday. I didn't take Computer Science in my school at the cost of Biology, so I don't learn these as a reguler school studies, and I cann't find any good books in the market about these (even if I find one, it's in Bengali or, based on old hardwares). Moreover, instead of posting dozen threads about each hardware (GPU, CPU and Motherboards are exception), I find this AiO more effective and space saving. In addition, you guys can also suggest whether or not I'm walking the right path with a better build, and there's nothing of pride in here. And Vario, of-course, it's not your time wastage, infact, you're helping me to learn something. I don't want to debate any more about this, so let's head to our subject, shall we?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  19. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    There is no debate. These fine people are speaking the truth, as you are, my friend.
    I agree that the speed of change makes our recommendations, nearly useless.
    I also agree that I have learned much here from my TPU Teammates and the people in the the Forums. My infantile computer training was back in the '80's when Pascal was the new rage.

I would suggest continuing your learning here by observation and sincere inquiry.

When the time is closer, and all sorts of new stuff is out there, you will know about it because of the timely reviews and smart commentary.

Many of my friends are impressed by my knowledge of computers, I laugh knowing it is my knowledge of this site that is impressing them! Not me! :D

Best of luck, and yes, you are on the right track. As mentioned storage and CPU cooling are issues in your build, not bad!
    :lovetpu:

RCoon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Then ask questions that will actually help you understand what is the best hardware and why it is the best. Ask questions like "What makes the 4770k cpu better than the 2600k?" "Why is the 4770k cpu with 4 core and 8 processing threads considered faster than a 8 core AMD 8350 cpu?" "How is a GTX 780ti video card running at 900mhz faster than a R9 290x video card running at 1000 mhz?" and so on. Ask the questions that will actually teach you something. This thread really isn't going to teach you anything.

Oh, and BTW, I'm a 42 year old residential construction contractor. I did not learn about computers from any school or books. While I may be currently taking classes and working on getting my BA in Network Administration, 99% of my computer knowledge has came from reading and joining in discussions right here on TPU.

XSI and RCoon say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    Okay then, apologies and thanks. Now, how 4820K better than 4770K and is Kaveri better than Haswell? If it is, how?

And, can we expect 'nearly infinite' CFX with what AMD introduced in 290/290X (CFX without any bridge) provided, there are enough PCIe slots in a motherboard? Could this be a contender against Nvidia's Quad SLI?

BarbaricSoul says thanks.
  22. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    They are pretty much identical in performance, the 4820K just has tiny extra features that come from the X79 socket 2011. One such feature being ECC memory.
    Kaveri is most definitely not better than haswell core for core in terms of CPU processing power. Not worth even considering for a high end machine right now.

23. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    What is ECC?

24. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECC_memory

More useful for servers than gaming machines

Also the X79 socket 2011 support tri and quad channel memory, whereas Z87 currently only supports dual channel

25. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    So, Z87 & the CPU altogether makes 4 channels, whereas X79 alone has that. Which one is better then? Do you think Z97 could support quad channel memory?